Rinnai direct vent gas furnace

Old 01-04-18, 01:33 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rinnai direct vent gas furnace

Hi,

I have a 5yr old (appx) direct vent furnace that keeps flashing the filter light. The filter was recently cleaned and reinstalled as it has been on numerous occasions throughout the year. Now, after an hour or 2, the unit will begin to beep, then eventually shut down. It will restart after it's unplugged then plugged back in. We're worried that it will pooch out on us and it's very cold here in Maine and it will only get colder. We don't have the ability to shut it down for an extended period of time. Any suggestions?

Old 01-04-18, 02:59 PM
S
Post some pics of the wiring diagram, should be a easy fix.

Old 01-04-18, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
A model number would also be helpful...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 01-04-18, 05:01 PM
W
Good points. The model # is EX17C and the wiring diagram is on pg 32 and 33 of this link https://www.alpinehomeair.com/relate...structions.pdf

The manual has this language regarding the filter and filter lights: "Dirty filters reduce the air flow and the appliance’s ability to produce heat. The filters should be cleaned frequently during the heating season. If the filters become blocked the filter indicator lamp will flash red and a beep will sound five time. This beeping will repeat every 5 minutes. Eventually the appliance will turn off and display fault code 14 on the control panel display. To clean the filters, the appliance should be OFF and cool. Remove the filter and clean it using a soft dry cloth or vacuum. If the filter is greasy wash with warm soapy water, rinse, and dry completely. Do not use the appliance without the filter installed."

The filters have been cleaned frequently and they are clean currently. They have been installed correctly.

Old 01-04-18, 06:02 PM
Group Moderator
There is no actual sensor to monitor for a dirty filter so it looks like it knows the filter is dirty because of excessive heat rise. The fault code 14 verifies an overheating issue. There are two over limit switches (OHS1 & OHS2) and an overheat thermistor (OH.TH). I don't know which ones are sensing the overheat fault. If it feels like the airflow coming out of the heater is normal then possibly the unit is overfiring or there is a blockage in the exhaust flue.

The switches can be checked at the main board for operation but the thermistor value is not given. If you can't locate a reason for over heating then it looks like service will be needed.

If it has a multiple speed blower.... try running it on high.

Old 01-04-18, 09:02 PM
W
OK thanks Pete. I'll try the blower on high. The unit is not throwing a fault code which is odd and the exhaust flue is not blocked by anything. It has been really cold here for a while - below freezing every day and subzero temps at night for about 2 weeks now. Could the unit just be overheating because it's constantly working?

Old 01-05-18, 09:50 AM
Group Moderator
I wish I could answer your question. This is the first time I've seen that unit. With exposure to an appliance comes experience. I wouldn't think it's overheating because it's constantly working. Heating units are designed to run continuously.

Those units rely on a good flow of air which is why I recommended trying it on high blower. That may remove enough heat to keep it running continuously. This time of year gas mixtures and pressures vary and that could cause firing issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: