Condensate pump w/safety switch

Old 03-17-18, 12:08 PM
J
JOB
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Condensate pump w/safety switch

Hello, I have a high efficency gas forced air furnace. It has a pump to remove water from the AC unit as well as the high efficency burner.

Question the pump is wired with a safety overflow switch which will shut down the low voltage heating/ac circuit. Last year I had the ac compresor and condensor replaced at which time I cleaned out the pump ( 22 years of dirt and gunk). Never had a problem with the pump still haven't.

Wife and I are are fortunate enought to get away during the winter and I am worried that a defective (dirty) safety switch could turn off my heating system when I need it most and no one is home.

Should I bypass the safety switch? Is that prudent? I'm not sure, thought about buying another pump with brand new contacts on the safety switch.

Looking for input

Thank You
JOB

Old 03-17-18, 12:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Depending on how long you are going away.... the most prudent thing to do is have someone look in every day or so.

Anything can happen.... a water line break, furnace just fails, etc.

Old 03-17-18, 03:37 PM
J
JOB
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ having someone look in is not possible, we will be gone 7 weeks next year.

JOB

Old 03-17-18, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
That's a long time to be absent with no welfare check on the property.
There are devices that can be put in place to monitor for problems like temperature and water and notify you but they would still need to have someone check out a problem,

Old 03-17-18, 08:06 PM
A
Received 92 Upvotes on 84 Posts
Why are you focused on the switch? Most don't even know it is there and are confused when it does its job. There are so many other things that are more likely to have an issue.

What you should do is have the furnace serviced a month before you leave. It is extremely unlikely that overflow switch will fail as it is a normally closed switch that only moves/opens if the float switch rises. The float switch shouldn't rise unless the tank overfills.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: