Trane XL80 no heat, blinking code 2

Old 09-25-18, 05:46 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane XL80 no heat, blinking code 2

I have an XL80 Trane furnace, I see the call for heat, the induced draft blower runs, igniter glows but the gas valve does not open. The furnace then shuts down, cycles twice more and then the main blower starts and runs constantly.I tested the gas valve and it works when 24 volts is applied to the low and common terminals so it seems good, all high limits, vacuum switches and roll out safeties are as they should be. Do I have a bad control board?

Old 09-25-18, 06:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,318 Votes on 1,218 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The igniter will not heat up if any of the safeties are tripped. Check for 24vAC on the gas valve when it should be firing. If the 24vAC is not present..... it sounds like the board is defective.

IF your control board uses a 9 or 12 pin connector..... remove it and plug it back in several times. Those plugs and sockets have been known to oxidize and cause problems.

Many times a board is replaced and the system starts working. That can be from just the plug being removed and reinstalled.

Old 09-25-18, 07:10 PM
A
I have removed all of the plugs multiple times in an attempt to better seat the plug, no improvement. The safeties are all working properly and 24 volts ac is present but not at the gas valve connection, On a side note the air conditioning works just fine.

Last edited by AlanWinans; 09-25-18 at 07:17 PM. Reason: More complete info
Old 09-25-18, 07:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,318 Votes on 1,218 Posts
The board is primarily for heating. Your next step is to replace the board.

Old 09-25-18, 09:00 PM
A
Thanks for your input, itís nice to have a second opinion when replacing an expensive part

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: