Goodman inducer issue

Old 10-15-18, 12:53 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Goodman inducer issue

Thanks in advance...Goodman Furnace Draft Inducer Blower # 0131M00002P on an Amana Distinctions unit (can't immediately find the model). A/C works fine but when heat is called I hear a hum in the attic and found that to be the inducer blower, which looks like the one in the attached photo. The small fan blades under the motor spin freely until heat is called at which point they seize, and so the humming. The blower did start once today which was after I reconnected power from having it off for a bit while diagnosing the issue. While it was running it sounded like there was a loose bearing (rattling sound). But when I let go off the safety switch it would only seize during multiple start attempts. I also noticed that sometimes when it attempts to start the blades rock back and forth about an eight of an inch and the hum changes changes lightly. Correct that the entire motor/blower gets replaced? Nothing to replace on the motor?

Attached Images  
Old 10-15-18, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The model number is on an ID tag inside on the side wall near the burner.
That draft inducer is replaced as an assembly.

I think the replacement added a fan to that motor to cool it during operation.

Old 10-24-18, 10:37 PM
G
So after purchasing and returning two motors I'm finding that apparently sellers can't picture the correct product. They picture and charge for the unit with the cooling fan on top of the motor, which is the newer model, yet they ship the one without the cooling fan, which is the older model. Any thoughts on the effect to the longevity of the one with the cooling fan on top? No doubt it helps but there's a cost difference about $45 from sellers that can tell the difference and offer both so wondering if anyone has experience to know if it's worth the spend

The one without the fan is same/similar to what's pictured in my OP. The one with the cooling fan is pictured in this post.

Attached Images  
Old 10-25-18, 06:34 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
How are you looking up the replacement? Is it via furnace model and serial number?
Are you buying the entire inducer assembly?

Old 10-25-18, 07:29 AM
G
By inducer motor model. Either motor, w/ or w/out the cooling fan, is correct. Just one is an older model. It’s apparently not possible to replace just the motor, or not I’ve found. All comments on various forums also say it must be replaced as a whole.

Even if I look up by Model/Serial I get both results, although mostly the one without the fan. The Goodman parts manual shows the version with the cooling fan but again a search for the inducer model shows both versions.

Last edited by GMAGDNA; 10-25-18 at 07:51 AM.
Old 10-25-18, 08:18 AM
G
I think I figured it out - The parts manual specifies 0131M0002S for the AB furnace (my model). The schematic in the manual is of a motor w/ a cooling fan. That’s the model I’ve been searching for and comes up with results w/ and w/out the fan.

The parts manual then specifies inducer model 0131F0006S for furnace model BB (not mine) and a search for that inducer comes up almost exclusively with the version w a fan.

Specs are the same for either, so bad to the question of: anyone have experience w/, or have an opinion on, the affect on longevity of the cooling fan version?

Old 10-25-18, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I don't think the extra cooling fan will make a night and day difference.
Mine has no cooling fan and has lasted a long time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: