Trane XE70 HSI question

Old 10-25-18, 04:14 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trane XE70 HSI question

So last year our furnace stopped working right at the start of winter. My wife has a friend who's husband works in HVAC so he came to look at it and determined it was a faulty hot surface ignitor. He replaced it and everything was working again.

Fast forward to last week and we were again without heat. I noticed that there was no glow from the HSI and he came back to check it again. When he pulled it out, it looked as though it had exploded and broke to pieces. So he installed a new one and it broke again after about 2 minutes. He recommended just replacing the unit altogether since it's almost 30 years old.

Before I throw the money down for that, does anyone know what might cause this? Should I ask him to look at something else that could be causing the HSI to break so quickly? I have a 5 week old at home so although I need to be ready for the winter cold and am willing and able to have a new furnace put in, 5 week olds cost a lot of money and I'd rather fix the furnace I have if it's possible. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by NevetsY; 10-25-18 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Paragraphs
Old 10-25-18, 04:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

At 30 years old you should be considering an upgrade but the age has nothing to do with the igniter failure. Either the wrongs voltage igniter is being used, or they are a cheap replacement or they have something on them like skin oil. I change igniters all the time. I stay away from the "no name" replacements and have no trouble.

Old 10-26-18, 05:13 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks PJ. I did think about maybe getting my own replacement and trying it out. He's going to bring another one today and see if it works. Hopefully, this one will work out better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: