Thermocouple for furnace

Old 11-21-18, 04:22 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 31
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermocouple for furnace

Hi all, I have a very old Clare Hecla furnace that appears to have a strange type of thermocouple. Rather than the standard screw in nut at the gas valve it has two terminals to a small terminal block. It doesn't appear that these types of thermocouple are sold at local hardware stores. Is there an adapter of some type or can the universal thermocouple be modified to work in this old set up?

Any help is appreciated.

*Edit, is it possible that my furnace uses a thermopile rather than a thermocouple?

Last edited by Alfonz; 11-21-18 at 04:51 AM.
Old 11-21-18, 07:00 AM
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: USA
Posts: 447
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
It could have a thermopile or even an old safety pilot . Without a clear picture of it I can not say. Also a bettter explanation of how it is electrically tied into the furnace may also help. Can you post the model and serial number along with it's approximate age.
Old 11-21-18, 08:56 AM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 65,941
Received 4,145 Upvotes on 3,722 Posts
That's not going to be a thermocouple. More like a thermopile or pilot generator that supplies power to the valves. Pictures will definitely be needed....... How-to-insert-pictures

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: