What unit to put for basement/backup heat?

Old 11-27-18, 10:38 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
What unit to put for basement/backup heat?

My 1300 f2 renovated house uses a heat pump for primary heat in Maine. It has a full basement which I plan to put in insulated 2x4 walls for half of it as an extra room. I have natural gas installed for my stove and future use. I'd like to have a nat gas unit for basement heat (and also emergency or backup heat), but I know that unvented units are not recommended and idk how I could use a vented unit with a full basement wall. I have a spare flue, but don't want to mess w a wood stove or pellet stove.
Any recommendations?

Old 11-27-18, 11:20 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
We have used an unvented NG heater in the basement for decades without any problems. Detectors have never gone off. You could install a NG water heater and run radiant heat.

Old 11-27-18, 12:38 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
We have used an unvented NG heater in the basement for decades without any problems
There are many types of NG heaters but if installing new I would recommend a vented unit, it's much safer and eliminates the large amount of moisture you will be pumping into the basement!

Old 11-27-18, 12:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
I don't get these claims against unvented heaters. We have a dehumidifier on a humidistat in the basement. It runs night and day in the warmer months, but never comes on in the winter. A little humidity in the winter would be nice actually.

Old 12-15-18, 05:44 AM
Received 23 Upvotes on 20 Posts
fyi, I installed a Rinnai vented heater and will prob keep the basement at abt 55 degrees, and see how that works. Hoping that keeping the basement at that temp will also keep the floors abt the same temp and minimize the load on the heat pump. After I get most of the basement walls insulated and framed, that my help the load on the Rinnai as well. We'll see.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: