What Would Cause Substantial Increase in Furnace Propane Use?

Old 01-21-19, 11:11 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What Would Cause Substantial Increase in Furnace Propane Use?

I have a Lennox G51MP propane furnace (93% efficiency I believe) about 13 years old. The furnace is the only propane use I have. Nothing has changed in the system or my heating strategy over the last few years here in Iowa. But my propane use has increased from an average of 200 gallons from summer fillup to the 1st week or so of January over the last 4 years to 337 gallons for that period this year. The temperatures this year are average.

I asked the propane supplier to check for a leak. His partial check found no pressure drop in the line to the house and no air bubbles when he squirted liquid around the fittings on the tank. So there still would be the possibility of a leak in the 45 year old tank itself.

The flames seem somewhat yellowish but I am not sure if they are more yellowish than before.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Old 01-21-19, 11:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Propane has a very distinct and easy to identify smell. If there were any type of leak worthy of note.... you'd smell it just by being near it. Does the line go underground ? That may be different.

A tech could check the furnace for operating efficiency.
Operating/manifold pressures should be checked too.

Old 01-21-19, 12:10 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes the line from the tank to the house goes underground, but there was no pressure drop when tested.

Old 01-21-19, 03:25 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Long term increase in fuel could be due to something entirely unrelated - insulating seals on windows breaking, door and window seals wearing down and letting in more air, attic insulation settling or being ripped up by a squirrel or the family cat.

Old 01-22-19, 04:50 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
You didn't say what your gas usage was in previous years. Only that the average was 200 gallons. What were the numbers? I suspect you had years that were much higher than 200 gallons. This years 337 might only be a slight increase over previous extra cold winters.

Old 01-23-19, 04:24 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
How did you determine gallon usage since the tank is filled to different levels each delivery?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: