120/240 V
DATE CODE F0.7V
CLASS B

Module: Ge ECM motors by Regal Beloit
120/240 V
6/11/07

The only other info on the module is on the bottom, Lennox Part No: 18M8001
ECM 2.3 CN03

The repairman, replaced the motor and module, $500 plus $300 labor. (I believe a refurbished one)
Problem: the fan motor ramps up and down continually. No air out of registers. The burner ignites as usual after a minute or so, then cuts off. The module was supposedly programmed for the motor. I'm not sure, but he may have tried another motor module with same results.

The control board of the ECM module shows no blemishes or burn marks on any part or solder. I wonder if the thermistor could still be bad, causing the ramping up and down?
Repairman recommended replacing the main control board next.
My thought, if the original problem was the motor, why would a new control panel fix this?
I've checked a lot of troubleshooting online, most beyond my expertise.
I considered buying a motor and module on ebay for cost savings, but most modules are CN02, not CN03. Is this important?
Does the module have to be programmed for the motor or for the Lennox unit?
I saw a single post on a troubleshooting site asking about the ramping problem but there was no reply.
Can you suggest possible problems, parts to replace, etc, for the ramping problem? Testing that would resolve this? I'm not a fan of continued replacing parts without knowing the problem, but my own expertise is minimal.

Old 03-02-19, 06:48 AM
B
Received 293 Upvotes on 260 Posts
You state original problem was fan noise. Did the repairman demonstrate the fan noise was gone with the replaced fan motor and control? Did the remainder of the furnace operate the way it did before the repair? If yes, it's not the repairman's fault. If no, it's the repairman's problem and you should have pointed that out at the time. Hopefully you can get him back. Curious, why are you talking about replacing a fan motor and control that just been replaced?

Old 03-02-19, 08:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
How long ago was the motor replaced?

You should have a 1 year warranty on a new motor.

If you bought some used Ebay motor that was made for a different furnace then you need a different motor.

Old 03-03-19, 03:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm not necessarily wanting to replace the motor that was just replaced. Just explaining what has been done. Since I did not see the new/used motor installed, I looked for others that match the old one exactly. I know that the replaced motor;module is under warranty. But I want to know that the problem is that causes the ramping. Maybe something besides motor. Repairman got motor/module from a business that told him it was programmed (to what?) He assumes it's the right motor. One reason I asked if the module must be programmed to Lennox unit, or the fan blower motor.
This started in January 2019. I can continue with our repairman, but as I said, his solution is to next replace the control panel. Just replacing parts until it works. We are on good terms, I just want more info.

Old 03-03-19, 03:34 PM
M
The ramping problem was pointed out to the repairman immediately. I started looking for info and parts online, since the part replaced was $500 for what I believe he told me is a reconditioned motor. Can get for less online. He can return this one,. That's when I saw that I may not have enough info on module to get the part that will work, whether it's the motor or module of both...which may be the new/used one isn't working now.

Old 03-04-19, 07:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
I recommend getting a factory motor from Lennox.

You are probably not going to have much luck with used ebay ECM motors.

I have seen issues with a factory motor if the model number was correct but the series is incorrect before.

Old 03-11-19, 12:26 PM
M
Thanks. I was hoping to learn if anyone has had the motor surging/ramping problem and what caused it/fixed it. The repairman said he bought a new motor/module and it can't be returned because it has been installed. I don't know where he bought it. He (we) paid $500 for it and he can't afford to buy another. I was trying to trouble shoot because buying additional expensive parts successively may also not fix the problem. Seems we will just throw money at it until something sticks. It may be a wiring harnace, a control board with the wrong setting,,etc.
A bad control module is more likely, I would think, considering symptom. Tthere are no burn marks top or bottom of the old control module. The new control module should be good. The repairman has not gone through any testing steps to diagnose the problem.
Original problem of noisy fan seemed an easy fix by replacing with a new blower motor and Module. But then the surging started after replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: