oil to gas conversion. whole boiler or boiler burner only?

Old 03-06-19, 12:47 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
oil to gas conversion. whole boiler or boiler burner only?

got a few quotes for the installation of natural gas piping for the conversion of an oil boiler and oil fired water heater in the vicinity of $14k with filing and permits. this seems on the high side to me, but i was looking into the option of just replacing the boiler burner as opposed to the whole boiler, but the contractors say its very inefficient and cost wise will not save much. this seems to be false information as the labor associated with demo and installation of a boiler will surely add up as opposed to just replacing the burner. the boiler is about 8-9 years old and have no issues with my one pipe steam system. just tired of paying$300-$400 in heating oil every month. whats your take on these quotes and if you have any feedback on the direction i should go in. it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-07-19, 03:03 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 14 Upvotes on 11 Posts
More information needed. I worked on and installed both steam and hot water systems in the Pennsylvania area. Keeping your existing boiler but converting it to a hot water system may be a good option. Before I would convert from oil to natural gas I would compare the cost of both fuels in your area to get a sense of the approximate cost savings. Converting to hot water if done correctly could save you about 1/2 your heating costs. Please list the boiler make and model number and the type of heat emitters (cast iron rads, convectors ,or steel finned tube baseboards). If you have cast iron radiators, some of them can be used on steam or hot water and some can only be used on steam. Give us your ideas on the type of system you prefer and there are guys that monitor this site that can give you some real good suggestions. If a conversion to hot water is a possible choice, show a couple pictures of the existing radiation . Hope this helps

Old 03-07-19, 07:38 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
If you got a few quotes..... are they all the same ?
It's hard for us to price a job without being there. Gas line installation could be a major job by itself.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 03-07-19, 10:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
The fuel efficiency would would be vertually the same with a power gas burner as it is with oil. The cost efficiency would depend entirely on the cost per btu of gas vs. that for oil.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: