Opinion on UV air purifier

Old 09-22-19, 10:21 AM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Opinion on UV air purifier

Hi,

After spending some time on reviewing various 25x116x1 filters for my furnace I came across UV purifiers such as:
https://www.honeywellstore.com/store...ent-system.htm

Just wondering, what opinions are about such products and UV filtering...

Old 09-23-19, 06:01 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
UV doesn't clean air very well unless you have lots of contact time. (many lights). You will still need a filter to catch the dirt.

Old 09-23-19, 06:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
UV light doesn't clean anything. But if it's a good quality unit it can kill bacteria and mold spores that pass through it. The only you linked even states that it only kills 70% of what passes by. So, yes it is killing the majority but it's letting a lot by before it can be nuked so you'll have to judge if it's worth the expense. Don't forget in addition to the expense of buying the unit there is the added electricity to power it. And, UV bulbs have a limited life. You may need to change the bulb every couple years.

As airman.1994 mentioned you will still need a traditional air filter in the system somewhere. This is very important as you need the filter to catch dust before it can get caught in and clog the coils.

Old 09-23-19, 06:11 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
While UV light is bactericidal, I would think the air is moving too fast to give them lights time to work unless you have several feet or more of them. As far as cleaning the air, it would do nothing to remove particles.

Old 09-23-19, 05:35 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I still would keep a regular air filter. It seems there are two kinds of installations:
1.) in return duct before "regular" filter.
2.) on top of evaporator .

Not sure where to place it in a two season install (gas heat + AC). on top of evaporator woudl help to keep it sanitized. Not sure how much it helps with cleaning air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: