Cracked heat exchanger

Old 10-12-19, 01:21 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cracked heat exchanger

Furnace runs fine than there's a little oil smell I cleaned it and watched it run burner runs good blower comes on no issue burner shuts down blower running smoke comes from around combustion intakes by oil pump burner comes on smoke stops when I lift transformer sticky oil residue is covering it and seems oil is possibly blowing back from nozzle checked chimney it's clear also pulled chimney off furnace clear so I lift transformer put grill lighter in there by nozzle draft pulls flame slightly into chamber turn blower on it pushes back towards me flickers and goes out I'm thinking bad heat exchanger am I correct on this?

Last edited by Chuck Chillson; 10-12-19 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Miss spelling
Old 10-12-19, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not an authority on oil burners but the blower on the oil pump will pressurize that chamber.
Opening the transformer will allow pressurized air out of the burner chamber.

On a gas furnace..... there is only CO which is colorless and odorless so it's hard to tell if there is a heat exchanger leak. On an oil burner.... the smell of the oil usually gets into the heated air stream and you'll smell oil from all the registers.

Old 10-12-19, 05:47 PM
C
When the burner shuts down and the actual blower is running it pushes smoke out around the combustion air intakes that are by the oil pump when burner is running there is no visible smoke than when burner kicks off smoke comes back out if blower is running

Old 10-12-19, 05:53 PM
C
I wouldn't lift transformer while it's running that's a good way to get zapped for sure.while furnace was off I put a grill lighter by the nozzle kicked blower on manually and lighter blew out that's why I think heat exchanger may have a hole or crack but I'm not sure if something else could cause it other than bad heat exchanger

Old 10-17-19, 01:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 41 Upvotes on 39 Posts
That is an indication of a bad heat exchanger but certainly not proof. How long has it been since the furnace was properly cleaned?

Old 10-19-19, 10:17 AM
C
Thanks for all in put pulled blower found several small holes in heat exchanger so new furnace for me

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: