ignition system

Old 11-03-19, 10:10 AM
X
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
ignition system

so our home has a Janitrol (Goodman) gas furnace. the first 7 years, we had zero problems with it. but the past 3 years, i have had issues every year. the first problem required replacing the circuit board and igniter. when the (silicone carbide) igniter goes bad, it takes so many amps that it burns the board up. i learned this the hard way, by replacing 2 circuit boards. initially, i replaced the igniter because i broke it getting it out. the 2nd year, when the board burned up, i also checked the igniter, and that was the eureka moment. the igniter had gone from 50 ohms, to over 200 ohms of resistance in just 1 year. so this year, i checked the igniter before heating season began, and the igniter had gone up to 140 ohms resistance. so i replaced it, in hopes that i will not have to replace another board. i would like to change this entire ignition system to a style that uses a "spark plug type" if that is possible. my initial thought was to just get a spark igniter, and graft in an ignition coil from a small motorcycle to run it. but knowing how dangerous "custom cobbling" can be, i figured i had better find a better way. any ideas?

Old 11-03-19, 11:37 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Did you touch the black part of the ignitor taking it out?
Resistance changes with temperature.
No, don’t modify the furnace in any way.

Old 11-03-19, 11:54 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There is NO custom cobbling with a gas furnace.

Not quite sure what the problem is there but if the resistance of the igniter goes up.... the load on the board goes go down. So the igniter is not causing ta board problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: