Technician Poured Water into my Secondary Heat Exchanger

Old 12-30-19, 10:05 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Technician Poured Water into my Secondary Heat Exchanger

Please help. I contacted my usual furnace company to do my annual furnace tune up today and the technician poured a gallon of water down the tube to the secondary heat exchanger.

We got a little dripping and he told me the heat exchanger was leaking, shut down the furnace, and told me I needed a new furnace.

I have been going to this same company annually for my furnace tune ups and none of the furnace technicians have ever done this to my furnace.

Are they trying to sell me a new furnace?

Should I contact another furnace company to check my secondary heat exchanger for leaks?

Thanks for any assistance you can give me.

Happy New Year to all of you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-19, 10:27 AM
S
Received 50 Votes on 47 Posts
J,
With the limited info provided this is just a thought. A boiler must have water in it to operate properly. Why would he have to pour water into a heat exchanger to begin with. What happened to the water that was in there and if there was water in there already why wasn't it leaking.

A hot water system has an automatic feed system which assures you have water in the system at all times unless you had the manual valve to the boiler shut off.

I would definitely get a second opinion.

Hope this helps a little.

Old 12-30-19, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,201 Votes on 1,111 Posts
This sounds like a condensing furnace.
The secondary heat exchanger does handle condensation extraction from the exhaust gases.

The make and model of the gas furnace would be helpful.

Old 12-30-19, 02:09 PM
Received 44 Votes on 38 Posts
Where was the dripping coming from?

There's a collector box at the front with gasket and drain lines, trap.

If the secondary itself was leaking, it's bad.

Most furnaces have a 20 year heat exchanger warranty so paying labor and getting it replaced is an option. Though after 15-16 years it makes more sense to replace.

Old 12-30-19, 02:14 PM
J
Furnace was running fine. Technician came to do my annual furnace tune-up. Poured a gallon of water down a tube and he said there were a few few drops of water coming out of the secondary exchanger and told me I needed to replace the furnace. Have never had a technician do this and was wondering if I am being scammed for a new furnace. Furnace is 18 years old and has been running fine.

Old 12-30-19, 02:21 PM
J
Shut my furnace down and said it was unsafe. Have carbon monoxide detectors in my home and they have never gone off.

My furnace is a Bryant Model 355 MAV060120 90I Gas Furnace

Old 12-30-19, 02:37 PM
J
I am looking at my receipt and it states I have a Life time heat exchanger warranty. The original installer will come to verify the secondary exchanger needs replacement tomoprrow.

Old 01-01-20, 07:59 AM
A
Received 91 Votes on 84 Posts
Are your carbon monoxide detectors more than 7 years old (10 years for some models)? Over 7 years and the detectors may have become less sensitive.

Since your CO detectors have not gone off I would be tempted to turn the system back on and use it normally for a short time if you desire. But you would need to have the system turned off far enough in advance so when the installer or technician comes back, the parts are not too hot to touch and inspect.

Old 01-01-20, 10:51 AM
R
Received 104 Votes on 98 Posts
Your furnace is part of a class action lawsuit on the secondary heat exchanger. Here is the information-

http://hipspro.com/pubs/Furnace-clas...led_notice.pdf

You should demand a combustion analysis for verification the secondary has failed. If it has the CO in the exhaust will be extremely high, among other erratic readings.

UL listed CO detectors should not be trusted or relied upon for the presence of carbon monoxide. They are not set to alarm until a steady 70 PPM for continuous 4 hours. So you could have 69 PPM and have no alarm. As a comparison most fire departments will not enter a structure without breathing apparatus if CO levels exceed ~20 PPM.
You want non-UL listed low level detectors in your home.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.