Effects of 10 degree temperature range

Old 10-30-23, 08:16 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Effects of 10 degree temperature range

I have a 96 AFUE gas furnace. If I were to manually turn on the thermostat at 57F, then turn it off when the temperature reached 67F, how would this affect the life of the furnace if done over a long period of time? I would only have to do this two or three times per day most of the winter.

Would doing this harm my house in any way long term?

Old 10-30-23, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Probably not hurt the house but how about plumbing in the walls ?
Have you ever had any freeze ups ?

The heat heats up the wall which then travels thru the wall to any plumbing that should be on the warm side of the insulation. Members have had problems with plumbing running thru closets and areas with minimal heat.

Old 10-31-23, 03:54 AM
Thanks. No plumbing in exterior walls, so that shouldn't be an issue. Would doing this extend the life of the furnace in any meaningful way by greatly reducing the number of cycles? It's single stage and currently does 2-3 cycles per hour on the average winter day.

Old 10-31-23, 04:20 AM
B
Received 322 Upvotes on 284 Posts
Yes it should increase the longevity of the furnace. My concern would be is the sleep interruption and increase in homesteading worth the benefit.

Old 01-01-24, 01:56 PM
After a few weeks of experimenting, I decided to purchase an Ecobee 3 Lite thermostat, which lets me adjust the dead band to 3 degrees. It also keeps track of when and how often the furnace cycles. Using these features, my Furnace has cycled at most ten times per 24 hour period on the coldest day so far this winter, which had an outdoor temperature range of 10 to 25 degrees. The comfort level has been acceptable.

Will this low amount of cycling appreciably increase the life of my furnace assuming all other variables stay the same?

Houston204 voted this post useful.
Old 01-02-24, 05:02 AM
T
Received 112 Upvotes on 100 Posts
I'd be concerned about the impact on flooring, moolding, grout, and caulk. Temperature change causes expansion / contraction movement and constant changes could cause gaps to appear.

Old 01-02-24, 01:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,154 Upvotes on 3,730 Posts
Will this low amount of cycling appreciably increase the life of my furnace assuming all other variables stay the same?
Appreciably increase ...... no.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: