Hanging a big frameless mirror

Old 07-10-18, 06:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hanging a big frameless mirror

Got a tricky situation. I bought a big frameless mirror - the big polished edge vanity style - to install on drywall in a workout room. The mirror is 42” tall by 92” wide. 1/4” thickness.

Because I bought the mirror used, it already has plugs of dried epoxy on the back, which add about another 1/4 inch depth.

i was hoping to avoid gluing this thing to the wall, but I’m not sure that mirror hooks will work. For one, even I drill into studs (which I would definitely do) I wonder if the little transparent hooks (the kind rated at 20#) would be sufficient to support the mirror. Based on 24” stud spacing in my basement, I only have enough length to use 4 hooks. Also, because of the dried epoxy on the back, the mirror won’t even fit 1/4” hooks.

Am I stuck gluing it, or do you have other ideas? Is there a way to remove the epoxy from the back without damaging the mirror and using the plastic hooks?

Old 07-10-18, 07:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 985 Votes on 897 Posts
You can use mirror j moulding on bottom and normal clips on top. If the epoxy is really that thick you will likely need to shim behind the j moulding and clips.

Old 07-11-18, 05:07 AM
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: