Old 08-25-16, 07:59 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Opinions on finishing sunroom

Name:  20160825_113225.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  28.2 KB
As you can see in the photo above our sunroom is in pretty rough and unfinished. We purchased our home 15 months ago and I've finally finished other projects and now looking to get this mess of a room together. So far I've primed inside walls and ripped out the old indoor carpet. My next step is to remove the carpet glue left on the slab.

Our primary use for this room is sitting in there drinking morning coffee, occasionally eating dinner ect...eventually we plan to put a hot tub in there hopefully by this time next year.

Once I remove the carpet glue I plan on painting the slab. My idea is to install Windows, however my gf doesn't want to spend the money and would rather just install screen and finish with some trim. The openings are roughly 43"wx50h.

In addition to either installing windows or screen the question is what should I do with the inside and outside of the foundation? One idea I had for the inside of the foundation was to hang vinyl beadboard.

As for the outside, I've considered siding it or maybe stone? My fear is I won't be able to match up the existing siding.

Thoughts and opinions on this?

Thanks in advanceName:  20160825_113243.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  26.5 KB

Old 08-25-16, 08:23 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
IIWM, I'd probably go for the windows. In NJ it would probably give you at least a couple more months of practical use. You would probably want to reconfigure the openings so you could use, say, 4 30" windows rather than 6 narrow ones; I think it would look better. That would mean moving the posts. You would have to make sure the structure above would allow that.

As for the outside, stone veneer might look nice, but I'll bet you could find siding that was a decent match; it doesn't look like anything unusual.

Old 08-26-16, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While it would complicate adding stone at a later date, you could just prime and paint the stucco. I couldn't count how many I've done that way. If the adhesive cleans up decent, I'd opt for a solid color concrete stain on the slab as it takes less prep and is easier to redo when the time comes [no peeling paint]

I agree windows [even storm windows would be ok] are best if the budget allows. Gives you more days that you can enjoy the room.

Old 08-26-16, 05:29 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
As someone who has their spa indoors I'm another vote for windows. Many folks think a spa outside is great but come winter the fun wears off real fast. Then once you have windows in you'll feel more comfortable installing a TV so can watch while in the tub.

I think attaching siding or soffit material to the stucco will be a pain as those products are intended to be nailed in place. I'd paint it unless you plan to do a brick or stone veneer.

Old 08-26-16, 06:34 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Vote # 4 for the windows - they allow you to keep the weather out which is a bigger deal than I think your girlfriend realizes.

Old 08-26-16, 06:26 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
I agree 110 % no way would I leave it open like that.
Eze Breeze Three 3 Season Windows
I forget about trying to paint or stain that floor since there's going to be old carpet glue in the pores of the concrete.
Once it's cleaned off I'd be tiling it.

Old 08-28-16, 07:19 AM
D
Yes tiling was what I wanted to do, however gf didn't want to spend money on tile so she bought the paint already.Looks like I even convinced her to do windows.

Old 09-23-16, 11:48 AM
A
Banned
I think attaching siding or soffit material to the stucco will be a pain as those products are intended to be nailed in place. I'd paint it unless you plan to do a brick or stone veneer. use window also

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: