Bamboo screening issues

Old 12-10-19, 01:51 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bamboo screening issues

Hi there,

I don’t know if this is the best forum, but it was the closest. I have had bamboo screening fitted on my external walls in the back yard!! They are 200 cm high but I was planning on trimming them to 180 cm. I don’t think my walls are in the best condition and the gardener has screwed them to the walls with quite long screws! But the longest wall (5m) the screening has come away in the wind almost the whole way along! I just have no idea how to best keep this thing up! Do I secure it to the wall with say a plank of wood? Do I put more screws into the wall, longer ones? Do i attached the other end of the screening to a wooden post and attach it loosely to the walls? I’m just not sure if there is a technique with bamboo screening! Or is unlikely I’ll solve this issue?

thanks
kay black

Old 12-10-19, 02:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
We have no idea how your screen was assembled so it's pretty hard to answer, but basically anytime you put up any type of screen cloth, it needs to be applied to a solid flat perimeter surface such as a frame, (was this done?) and if there is no spline or groove (like you would normally have on a manufactured screen) on that frame, then the perimeter of the screen has to be fastened with staples every few inches to prevent it from stretching or coming loose. (Was the edge stapled at all?) Then the face trim simply covers the staples on the edges. The screws in the face trim is not what holds the screen.

I would guess you should just call the person back who put it up in the first place and have him fix his shoddy job. I'm assuming that is the problem in a nutshell. Or call someone else that is competent.

Old 12-10-19, 02:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
I do a lot with bamboo and after two years untreated bamboo looks rough and by three years it's time for replacement. If your bamboo screen is coming down I would think hard if it's worth the effort to reattach it or if it's better to replace it with new.

Old 12-10-19, 03:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Wait a minute... Are you talking about bamboo fencing? If so I am way off base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: