DIY Solar Rooftop Installation

Old 02-03-24, 12:18 PM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
DIY Solar Rooftop Installation

So I've decided I'll try and do my own rooftop install. Here's something an electrician proposed:

I'll guess that's a 23 to 25-panel install.

The problem is that I'm not well versed in doing roof work or the electrical needed. I'll have to review some roofing videos but here's a couple of thoughts I have off the bat:

1. How do I get on the roof? The roof closest is both on top fo the first floor and second.
2. What should I use to secure myself?
3. How would i get the panels up there?
4. How do you secure the railing to the tiles or underneath the tiles? How do you weatherproof it?
5. Do the cables run into the attic or off the side? The panels are on the left alleyway of the home.
6. What rating will I need for my panels? I'm unsure how to calcuate the right amount. I've used an average of 1,200 kWh per month over the last year.

The electrician also mentioned that I may have to redo my circuit breakers as well. We have a large box on the outisde of the home and a smaller one on the opposite side of the wall that's it's installed in what's been converted to a guest room.

Please throw out any ideas and tips you have! I'm looking at getting this done by the end of Spring.

And as aways, thanks!

Old 02-03-24, 02:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
I am all for DIY but your first three questions makes me think this is not a DIY project for you. You may want to get some pricing from some pro installers to actually see how much money you would save by doing it yourself.

Old 02-03-24, 05:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,983 Upvotes on 3,575 Posts
That is not a DIY project even for most DIY experts.

First and most important... what is the roof construction and how old is it ?
You do not want to install a + 20 year system on a roof that will need replacing sooner.
A 30% Federal solar tax credit is available on an installed system.

More info for you.

Old 02-04-24, 08:18 AM
O
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
PJmax The home was built in 2006. It's tiling. Here's a front view:

Tolyn Ironhand I did get some pricing. Pro electricians will cost around $150 / hour and there is a company that will be willing to do a minimal install and walk me through the process so I can eventually carry it on from there. Is it really that bad? I mean, you have to start somewhere.

Old 02-04-24, 08:36 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 119 Upvotes on 103 Posts
would likely rent a boom high lift for a week if you needed to do the work yourself to get the panels up there but as others have said it is probably out of the realm of diy for most but if you get some help from electricians for the wiring and maybe other people to know how to correctly install the panels on your roof type.

Old 02-04-24, 07:59 PM
Group Moderator
A tile roof

I can tell you 100% that it is not a DIY job.
I'm not sure I'd want anyone to do it.
Those tiles crack if you look at them crooked.

If you have it done... make sure the company is bonded and is completely insured for that type roof.
Trust me.

orielonline voted this post useful.
Old 02-05-24, 02:42 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You get the 30% tax credit on the installation as well as the materials so often times it's best to just pay a company to do it for you. I looked at possibly doing my ground system myself but after quotes it didn't make sense for the time I would have to put into it. Also I believe most everywhere you'll need to have all the work inspected by the municipality and the power company before you can energize the system. Also in my area we get srec credits from the power company for our install and they'll only give you that credit if the installation is done by one of their approved contractors. Especially on a tiled roof, as PJmax stated the tiled roof will be a major pain in the butt.

Old 02-06-24, 04:47 AM
B
Received 303 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Sounds like a roof leak waiting to happen. Did you tell the companies who quoted that the roofs are clay tile?

Old 02-06-24, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
If you call for a quote.... tile roof must be mentioned up front.
I have worked on tile roofs when I was a lot younger and much lighter.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: