How to secure an over-the-door wire organizer to a hollow door

Old 03-09-16, 10:59 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to secure an over-the-door wire organizer to a hollow door

I have an over-the-door wire organizer that needs to be secured in the middle. This particular organizer is two pieces; the bottom half hooks onto the upper half.

I would like to do something like zip tie it to the door at the middle cross wire, but I cannot think of a way to thread a zip tie in one hole and out another.

I have tried the small Command cable holders, but they are not strong enough, and I know there are fasteners like molly bolts and hollow door anchors that can be screwed into, but this really seems too major when a simple zip tie could work fine, and leave a very small hole in the door; well, about 2 to 4 very small holes in the door.

I guess there is no way to thread a zip tie through a couple of correctly placed holes to get the job done, but if there is a way, I would really like to know what it is. Maybe a special tool or something. Any ideas would be welcome.

If there is a product of any kind designed specifically for securing a wire organizer to a hollow door, I would be interested to know. I did search online for a way to secure an over-the-door wire organizer to a hollow door, but I did not get very many results.

Last edited by fenpeppertree; 03-09-16 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-09-16, 11:04 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
Might get a better answer with a couple pictures.
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 03-09-16, 02:01 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
OK, i read your post 5 times before it really sunk in. You have a wire basket or similar item that normally goes over the door and you want to fasten it to the door. Jump in if I'm wrong. What initially conjured up in my old mind was a physical wire organizer, where wires were kept in place as they passed over your door.

We'll need to see how the organizer is made in order to give much help. If you fasten anything within 1 1/2" of any edge, you will hit directly in the doors' frame, so that is solid, not hollow.

Old 03-09-16, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The OP wants to drill two holes in the hollow core door. Push the cable tie in one hole and have it come out of the other. It can be done. Requires patience. You have to bend the tie in a half circle. You need to use a small screwdriver or pick to guide it out of the second hole.

It would be easier to use a molly bolt fastener designed for a hollow core door with a one hole plastic clamp.
CRL 0" to 3/16" Grip Hollow Wall Anchor

Name:  clamp.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  15.2 KB

Old 03-09-16, 10:55 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If we are following you, I had the same idea as PJ. These plastic clamps work well for holding tubes or anything round. They are available in 1/4" and up and there are metal versions.

Here's a link to an anchor screw. The screws are meant for drywall but hold very well in thin material. I use them often in 1/8" Masonite and they won't strip out. If you use them don't let them self pierce, drill a pilot hole about half the diameter.

The Hillman Group Wall Dog 1-1/2 in. Hi-Lo Steel Pan-Head Phillips Anchors (25-Pack)-376246 - The Home Depot

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: