Replacement hinges for welded steel door frame

Old 08-06-17, 07:26 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacement hinges for welded steel door frame

My house was built in the 1950s and all the door frames are steel with one side of the hinge welded to the frame. The linen closet door was missing when I bought the house, and I've been looking everywhere for 3.5" replacement hinges that fit (new standard hinges have a skinnier pin and knuckles that are too big - see picture). The strike plate says Steelcraft on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Name:  IMG_20170806_130716650.jpg
Views: 17873
Size:  20.4 KB

Attached Images  

Last edited by Miniondave; 08-06-17 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-06-17, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Received 391 Upvotes on 319 Posts
Try McMaster-Carr They have everything.

Old 08-26-17, 08:12 AM
M
Half-surface hinges worked!

I'm going to leave this post up if anyone else is searching for the answer. After much research I bought National Hardware half surface hinges (N133-306) from Home Depot (had to order online and wait for pick up in store) and they work perfectly! The pins come out by sticking an allen wrench or a nail in the hole in the bottom and giving it a good hit or two with a hammer. You can then take the cap off the bottom by hitting with a long nail or allen wrench from the other side. I was only able to find half surface hinges in the brass color but I'm just going to spray paint them white to match. A lot less work than trying to cut off the old hinges and install surface mount hinges through the steel frame!

National Hardware 3-1/2 in. Half-Surface Hinges-453 3-1/2 HS HINGE BRS - The Home Depot

Old 05-25-18, 05:11 PM
B
How’d it end?

Thanks for leaving this up. I am in the same boat - old hinges covered in paint welded to the steel frame. I couldn’t find the hinges you linked but found some similar on an antique hardware site but am curious what you did with the half welded in the frame? I bought the new hinges with the idea I’d only use half (the half that screws to the door) since the other half I can’t get out of the frame.

Let me know now how it worked out, and if you have any pics I’d love to see them.

Last edited by XSleeper; 05-25-18 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Removed link
Old 05-25-18, 06:54 PM
M
Worked out well

I did only use half of the hinge and left the welded part alone. I spray painted the new half hinge white but as you can see from the pictures I never got around to spray painting the screws or the pin (or touching up the door itself). I really should have sanded and repainted the welded hinge but at the time I was just happy to have a door. Since it's the linen closet the door is closed most of the time and I haven't gotten back around to it (still finishing remodeling the rest of the house...).

Attached Images   

Last edited by Miniondave; 05-25-18 at 07:19 PM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: