How can you tell hinge type?


Old 12-24-17, 08:07 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 498
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
How can you tell hinge type?

I have a several sets of hinges for cabinets....Is there a way to figure out if they are full overlay ?
They are all lose packaging so I can't tell just by looking at them.....
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-17, 08:14 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 8,975
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
If you do a Google search on How To Tell the Difference in Hinges and use images, you will see both half overlay and full overlay. This is better than trying explain it.
Old 12-24-17, 08:25 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 5,451
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Assuming you are talking about Euro hidden hinges, the overlay is usually 1/2" for face frame cabinets. Full overlay is about 3/4" to 7/8" overlay.
Make a pencil mark on the face frame (or use tape) at the edge of the hinge side of the door.
Remove the door and measure from the mark to the inside edge of the face frame.

If you need help identifying a hinge type, post a picture.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: