Stair landing - wood attached to boulder

Old 07-15-18, 01:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stair landing - wood attached to boulder

Good afternoon everyone! The Mayo's in Roan Mountain, TN. We have a sloped backyard that goes down to a creek and we have steps leading down to the creek. My husband is building a landing at the bottom of the stairs and plans to use pressure treated wood and attach part of it to a large boulder in the hill. He is not sure what type of fastener to use to attach them together. Any ideas? Lag bolt? Type/size? Other?

Old 07-15-18, 01:53 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,572 Votes on 1,413 Posts
I would use an expanding masonry anchor.

Old 07-15-18, 02:33 PM
T
Thank you Pilot Dane! That is what my husband was considering and he was just unsure if he should use stainless steel 18-8 or 316 to prevent corrosion. The fasteners will be buried in the dirt. He is anticipating using stud anchors from the Bolt Depo.com.
Probably a 10 inch stud anchor to go all the way through the 6x6 pressure treated wood. The rock (aka boulder) is large enough to easily accommodate at least 3 anchors. Not sure exactly what the rock/boulder is made of but appears to be high iron per the color and very typical in this area. It is buried in our back hill/slope.

Old 07-15-18, 03:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,534 Votes on 1,378 Posts
You usually only need to have the anchor in 2 1/2" worth of masonry, so 8" anchors would be the right size. Use a grinder and cup wheel if needed to plumb or level the surface.

Old 07-15-18, 05:16 PM
T
Thank you so much as well XSleeper - much appreciated -

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: