See through walls

Old 10-31-18, 05:32 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
See through walls

About a year ago or so I mentioned the WALABOT see through walls add-on for a smartphone. It cost about $100. Wish I had one when I was younger.

Just happen to see this morning. $64.99 and free shipping. I'm so tempted.

If anybody might be interested see this link. I hope I'm not breaking any forum rules. I have no personal interest other than curiosity.

https://walabot.com/diy?utm_source=F...e3yziqIvcSF3PA

Old 10-31-18, 06:41 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Note this quote from the ad:

"Works with Android phones running Android 5.0 and above with USB On-The-Go (OTG).
NOT compatible with iPhones or Tablets."

Old 10-31-18, 06:55 AM
I decided to pull the trigger. I figure it will be a family tool. I'll let the boys know it's available whenever they need it. It does have 14 day money back option. I read the reviews and they seem good. When I get it, I'll play around with it and send a review to this forum. I'll try to be as critical as possible. One of the things I'll interested in, is it's ability to go through ceramic tile and wall board. They don't say how deep the view can articulate. We'll see.

Old 10-31-18, 09:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I've seen the advertisements but always wondered if it really worked. I'll be curious to hear what you thing after you get yours.

Old 11-14-18, 05:08 PM
Follow up. Received the WALABOT. After two weeks in shipping (coming from Cincinnati to Buffalo via Fed-Ex and US mail), should've just dropped in the mail box. Would've received it with in a week. That's my rant concerning shipping.

Anyways, I plan on doing a review from package opening to actual use and let you all know what I think. I'll try to provide video. But due to other things this review may have to wait a few days or maybe even a week. Hold your breath!

Old 11-15-18, 07:17 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
I use the "X-ray specs" I bought from the back pages of Popular Science magazine when I was a kid.

I hope yours works better.

Old 11-18-18, 09:12 AM
I had planned on showing a video of the Walabot in action, but realized I can’t video the Walbot in action and use the phone at the same time. However, the web site showing the unit in action is very accurate and nothing is being “hidden”.

https://walabot.com/diy?utm_source=G...RoC4hwQAvD_BwE

With that said, the Walabot is not for the occasional user. If you need to find a stud for an occasional picture or mirror hanging, use the traditional methods.

It does takes practice to get accurate and satisfactory results. And this is so stated in the web site and tutorials that come with the unit. On my first attempt (without following the tutorials and just trying all the features), I had very good results. So it’s not hard to use even without following the directions. But practice makes perfect. For the professional or the regular DIY’er it could very well be the best tool in your tool box.

You must calibrate it for the type of surface and it should calibrated for each new scan or project. Only one calibration is necessary if doing multiple walls of the same type at one time.

It has three modes of operation.

Pan, images and expert mode.

Panning will give you an overall location (in inches or cm) of where studs or other object are along a horizontal sweep of a wall.

Images will help identify what the objects are be it stud, pipe or wire.

Expert mode will give raw data and should be used to follow wires, or pipes and find intersections or curved items.

It does not have it’s own battery and draws power from your phone. So be sure your phone is properly charged. And don’t keep it plugged in when not in use. It draws continues power.

Picture shows everything it comes with. Sealed box in cellophane. It has two cables, depending on the type you need for your phone. A plastic sheet to prevent marring of walls, gel pad (washable and re-usable) to mate the phone and Walabot. The “user manual” comes in 9 languages, but is nothing more than directions to go to the web site for how to use it. You must download the app. NOTE: Does not work with iPhones.

A couple of drawbacks that I wish I understood before purchasing. It cannot be used over ceramic tile! This is a big drawback, especially for us DIY’ers who need to find leaking pipes behind showers or wires behind kitchen backslashes. Maybe an update will resolve this drawback.

Does not work on plaster/lathe/wire plaster walls. Not so good on homes of the pre 1960’s era. (BTW...you can't use it as an x-ray to see through your skin. )

I have a high end impact resistant phone case that gives about an1/8 inch separation between Walabot and actual phone. But it did work satisfactory. However, I wrote the company and asked if a phone case can be used and they said no, it may give inaccurate results. Your results may vary.

It does what it says and if you have a remodel job it’s worth the cost of adding this to the job total. And you have the benefit of using for future jobs.

Is it worth the original cost of $100? Depends. But right now at this writing you can get it for $50 + shipping and tax. I personally don’t need it, but I figured between myself and the three boys, and maybe another son-in-law we can share it.

If I was younger, I have no doubt I would’ve bought it and used it often.

The website is very detailed if a bit hard to navigate and has many tips on getting good results. The web masters are very good at responding to questions and helping out. My question was asked on Saturday evening and Sunday morning I was pleased to get a response.

Attached Images  
Old 11-18-18, 10:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Thanks for the update Norm. Definitely a bargain at $50.

There is nothing* that can scan thru metal lathe or screen. My deep scan scanner will read thru plaster and tile but it will not show something like a pipe as it's too far from the scanner sensor. It can show the gaps in wood lathe but not the studs behind it.

I rarely have problems with walls but I can see this being a "must have" for recessed lighting as there is ductwork, piping and bridging that always shows up centered in the recessed opening.

* at least nothing that we could afford.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: