Rivet sizing

Old 01-15-19, 08:46 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Rivet sizing

I want to know what size rivet I should use to reattach a car speaker to the door panel. The speaker is held by a plastic speaker holder and the plastic looks and is rigid like abs black plumbing pipe. See photo.

The holes in the speaker support that held the original rivets are 1/4" diameter but the drill bit got away from me on a couple of holes so they are a bit deformed now. I also noticed that these holes were placed very close to the outer edge and some of them cracked at this weak point. The bay the hole is in is about 1/2" deep from outer edge where the tape is toward the actual speaker to the right.

The predrilled holes in the metal door panel are 5/32" (at least a 5/32" rivet fits in there). The hat on the rivet fits precariously over those 1/4" holes but I can see them smooshing their way through the edges of the holes. With that issue I'm thinking of using a washer over the hole and maybe one on the back to add more support to the plastic speaker support before riveting into the hole in the sheet metal panel. The washer would act as a bridge over the messed up holes and cracked plastic around some of the holes. My question is: would a single washer work or should I go one on the back as well? In typing this it came to mind that if I can glue the washer to the plastic, one washer should work. Thoughts?

This of course will increase the depth the rivet needs to go. The speaker support is about 1/8" thick, a washer might add another 1/16 - 1/8", depending on the washer, (two would add an 1/8 - 1/4") and the door panel to which the speaker will be attached might add another 1/16". That means the rivet would have to go through 4/16 (1/4) up to 6 or 7/16". I was thinking of using a 5/32" rivet with a 1/2" grip range. My questions here are: Would a 1/2" rivet be too long if it only needs to be 4/16" long and would it be too short if it needs to be 7/16" long? Thanks

Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  63.9 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 01-14-20 at 05:36 PM. Reason: resized picture
Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-19, 10:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
If the holes on your door panel are 5/32, you will be good with just one washer in front, and it sounds like a 5/32x1/2 rivet should work, assuming you install it correctly by pushing the rivet, washer, and speaker together as tight as you can before you start to squeeze the rivet gun handle.

A rivet behind the speaker support would do nothing since a rivet only squeezes at the front and back.

You should use the largest diameter rivet that fits in the metal door panel hole.

Old 01-15-19, 11:23 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper! Really appreciate your guidance. The next size up of rivet (at least the ones I have and seen locally) is the 3/16" and that does not go into the holes in the panel so it has to be 5/32".

Do you have any thoughts on why the speaker support piece had 1/4" predrilled holes whereas the panel it was attached to only has 5/32" holes? Why wasn't it just drilled to have both at 5/32"? Not important to the task at hand but if you have some time to share your thoughts....

Old 01-15-19, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,118 Votes on 1,038 Posts
That speaker mounting grill may be used in other model vehicles where there is a screw instead of a rivet holding it in place. Also..... you want the rivet to easily pass thru the first piece of metal (bracket) for quicker installation.

Old 01-15-19, 05:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 677 Votes on 626 Posts
There are also those automotive clips that are sometimes used along with those truss head body screws.

Attached Images  
Old 01-16-19, 04:01 AM
B
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
In the automotive industry, if it saves the company money, it doesn't have to make sense.