bottle jack inquiries

Old 06-01-19, 02:38 PM
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
bottle jack inquiries

I have this bottle jack (I think it's called a bottle jack anyway). The label with any info and instructions is mostly all peeled/scraped away and unreadable. Questions:

1. What is probably the capacity/size of this jack?
2. Is it actually called a bottle jack, or something else?
3. It does jack up, and will also release when the valve is turned and go down. However after jacking up several inches it doesn't seem to jack up any higher when there is a load/pressure on it. When it jacks up and also on lowering it "skips" a little now and then, not completely smooth when going up or down. I figure I could check the level of the hydraulic fluid if I knew the proper way to check and also how to tell whether it's low, or needs changing or what. There's a hard rubber button/plug on the exterior there labeled oil which I assume is where I'd add oil but I wouldn't know how much to add.
4. Are these "rebuildable" to much of an extent? Doesn't look to me like it can be disassembled very easily, if I wanted to check seals or whatever inside but it seems like it probably would but I just don't know how.

Any comments/advice appreciated.

Old 06-01-19, 02:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
From what little you can see of the label, it could be a 6 ton jack. The rubber plug would the place to add oil. With it in the full down position, lay it with the plug up and add some jack oil (available at auto parts stores, farm stores, Wally World). You can, I believe, add oil right up to the top of the filler hole or close to it. Try that and give it a test lift. Better yet, drain what old oil is in it and get fresh in. Yes, they can be rebuilt, but you may have two problems: disassembly could be a challenge and the parts may be hard to find, although you can probably match up o-rings by sight. It's been a while since I messed with one of these (although I've done a couple of floor jack lift cylinders that are similar). I believe the top knurled section will unscrew from the barrel and the barrel will unscrew from the base. Pump assembly disassembly I think is pretty straight-forward. Unless it leaks externally or bleeds down during use, I wouldn't attempt disassembly.

Old 06-01-19, 03:07 PM
Thanks tow guy. That info gives me plenty to start with. Will post follow up with anything of interest, after I get a chance to follow through with a suggestion or two of yours.

Old 06-01-19, 04:28 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I think there should be bleeder valve or a way to evacuate trapped air. Also the top should screw up to gain more height. Had one many years ago. worked very reliably. Would trust that old thing compared to today's cheaply build models.

Old 06-01-19, 04:56 PM
Norm I'll double check around for a bleeder valve of some sort or method of possibly evacuating trapped air as you mention. Also will check to see if that top screws up any more. Yeah I've used this old jack way in the past and indeed it did work very reliably but it sat in storage for a long long time for one thing since then. Also I loaned it for a while and I think the person I loaned it to abused it somehow. Yeah it's old-school and If I can get it working right again it might be just be worth my time "jacking around" with.

Old 06-02-19, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
While hydraulic oil is best if you can't find it or have the time to look for it - automatic transmission fluid will also work. They are rebuildable but I'd make sure it's full of fluid first. The o rings are easy to replace and often the first thing to fail.

Old 06-02-19, 03:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I've never seen a bleeder valve on a bottle jack. Usually keeping it upright and cycling it up and down a couple times is enough to purge any air. Then, always keep it in an upright position. That will help prevent it from spilling or leaking oil and prevent air from getting into the pump or cylinder.

Old 06-02-19, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the additional tips/comments. I'll be posting back with any progress report or more questions but hopefully a success story soon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: