Kitchen cabinet shelf support pegs

Old 07-15-19, 02:26 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen cabinet shelf support pegs

Hi folks! Recently we put something too heavy on a kitchen cabinet shelf, and two of the support pegs failed and sheared off. Problem number one is going to be getting the broken piece out from inside the hole on the cabinet wall -- it's broken off flush with the surface! Any tricks for that?

Second, and more mysterious -- perusing places like Home Depot, it seems like support pegs are usually pretty standard. But I can't find any that fit our cabinet! The design of the peg is unusual, it has ridged pegs and doesn't seem to be a normal size. Unfortunately these were installed by a previous owner of the house.

I took pictures of one of the pegs from different sides, and they're attached with this message. If it looks at all familiar to you and you have any leads, please let me know! Many thanks!

Attached Images    
Old 07-15-19, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
They kind of look like these, but not exact.

https://www.kmart.com/unique-bargain...&blockType=G43

What is left on the cabinet?

Old 07-15-19, 04:02 PM
K
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Interesting, that's the closest match I've seen! I'll have to measure and see if the size is a match. I thought I measured before but somehow I had it wrong. When it says 5mm what exactly am I measuring?

As for what's left on the cabinet, the pin in the picture is a whole unbroken one. The broken pin left the shaft part broken off in the hole on the cabinet wall, with nothing to really grip to pull it out.

Old 07-15-19, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
5mm drill bit, 7mm drill bit, 8mm drill bit, etc. Brad points work best. Drill a hole in some scrap and see how it fits if you insert it into a hole. It's probably one of the above.

ksimon47 voted this post useful.
Old 07-16-19, 05:22 AM
D
Received 34 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would just drill a new hole next to the sheared pin and put a new support peg in the new hole.

ksimon47 voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: