Need advice please with TV shelf

Old 10-29-19, 12:41 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Need advice please with TV shelf

Hello all-- I have a slight problem described below-- (I have attached 2 pictures) I have a living room cabinet that holds our TV monitor- it sits on a FIXED piece of wood behind the 2 push in and out doors of the cabinet. When the doors are open to watch TV the doors stick out about 3 to 4 inches from the cabinet unit itself and if you sit on the side sofa to the left of the TV the door actually can block about 4 inches off that side of the TV screen - only sitting on the sofa directly in line with the TV shows a full screen. So what I am trying to do is purchase some sort of tracks that I can install on the top of the fixed piece of wood that the TV sits on and install the other tracks on the UNDERSIDE of another piece of wood that will lay on top of that wood base that the TV now sits on and then be able to slide the TV out beyond the doors for a good viewing from any angle. Sort of like a computer desk track hardware BUT the only difference is that the tracks need to be on TOP of the FIXED piece of wood from the cabinet and on the BOTTOM of the new piece of wood that I will make. I cannot seem to find anyone or anywhere that sells this kind of slide tracks- any help for me??? I hope the pictures I will attach will show my plight. One picture shows ONE door closed and the other picture shows the set up we have now- just think of how those doors stick out and block the side view of the TV if sitting off to the side.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-19, 02:40 PM
W
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
Move the TV closer to the front of the cabinet.

Old 10-29-19, 02:59 PM
M
Received 157 Votes on 144 Posts
Is the box/shelf under the TV attached to the main cabinet?
If not when you roll out the TV the box will flip forward.

Old 10-29-19, 04:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 678 Votes on 627 Posts
I'd add a couple 1x4s on top of the left and right ends of the box that the tv sits on. Pocket screw them down to that box so that it's flush with the box edges. You can then mount some Accuride side mount drawer slides to those 1x4s.

Then make (or order) a drawer box. You can cut the front of the drawer box out or at least router the perimeter of the drawer face down. That will make your drawer look more like a sliding shelf. Here's one I made. If you measure between your 1x4s the drawer width would be 1 1/16" narrower than that dimension. That takes into account the required side space for two of their 1/2" slides.

Then pull that drawer out as much as you need to when you want to watch tv.

I think this would be more sturdy than a keyboard style slide that is mounted on a flat board. Although that could work too. Might be simpler.

Old 10-29-19, 08:40 PM
M
Iif you look at the picture - no can do- we tried and it makes no difference. If it were that simple i would not have posted my problem

Old 10-29-19, 08:43 PM
M
yes that shelf you see that the TV is resting on is UNDER the lip of the wood in front of it and it is part of the cabinet- not moveable- and I do understand that if I do that and slide the TV forward on the shelf I am trying to make might cause the TV to flip BUT I am only going to pull the TV out 4 inches or so and the slide tracks that I am planning on using will be the full length of that shelf the TV is resting on which is 18 inches deep.

Old 10-29-19, 08:48 PM
M
Wow - xslepper- you are definitely a craftsman- but I like your final reply- where you say that my idea might work too and it definitely would be simpler- without a doubt- There is no way on this planet that I could make something like you made. so I would have to stick to the simpler idea-- and now knowing that- do you have any ideas how or where I could find my items needed for this job--

Old 10-29-19, 08:59 PM
M
new picture attached to this problem

I am attaching a new picture showing where I want to lay the new "keyboard style tracks" on the existing TV shelf and then the other pair would be on the bottom of the piece of wood laid on top of this that will slide - so you people have a better idea of my project.
The green lines on the shelf are approximately where I would screw the "keyboard"style tracks--
The problem I am having is noone seems to sell such an item separately. And like mentioned The TV is only about 4 pounds- it is a flat screen monitor and I am only going to pull the TV out to be flush with the doors in their open position which is only about 4 inches more than it is now- and tracks will be about 16 inches in depth so there should be plenty of torque on the shelf to prevent the TV or the new sliding shelf from tipping over especially if it is on the track and if needed I will put a weigh of some sort on the back of the new shelf behind the TV out of sight to counterbalance the weight.

Attached Images  
Old 10-29-19, 09:25 PM
M
update on this project

I just logged into another site I visited and here is what someone just recommended--- I am attaching the URL that showed a video- please let me know if this is something that you guys think will work-- I believe that this is exactly what I am looking for????

Under mount drawer glides
[url]https://www.woodworkersjournal.com/installing-mount-drawer-slides/

Old 10-30-19, 01:57 AM
Received 377 Votes on 352 Posts
Google under drawer slide!

4 dining rooms ideas with beautiful design ? mediatips.me

You will probably want to secure the tv to the shelve also!

Old 10-30-19, 03:50 AM
M
Yes the ball bearing drawer slides should do the job.
I cannot say why you are having a problem finding them.
When looking for them don't get hung up just looking for "under mount". They usually just mean that the slider is attached to the underside of the drawer sides and they still often attach them to the cabinet sides.
A decent quality side mount ball bearing slide should do the job if you cannot find the exact slides in the video.
Just go to Home Depot or whatever and try the slide on the horizontal to see how it pulls out.

It is very important that they are mounted at a 90 degrees to the shelf front and are exactly parallel or they will bind when pulling the shelf out..

You could also put a facing on the front of the drawer. A lip on the bottom will hide the slides and the lip on the top will give you something to grab onto to pull the drawer out.

I would also jiggery pokery something so that the drawer can only be pulled out the 4 to 6 inches you want.

Old 10-30-19, 07:38 AM
M
hey thanks for all that- I know I have to be careful when placing both of those slides- so that there will be no friction or tension when pulling the shelf out- that will be my task here--- as for the other fine points you made-- how do i make that facing and how do I attach them to hide the metal slides? and how big do they need to be in overall size and lastly what kind of "jiggery pokery " do you mean - so that the drawer does not pull out past the 4 inches- I know what you are talking about but how does one do that?

lastly someone recommended these type of slides-- can you please look these over and let me know which you think would be the better option and if the install is the same?-(the person said it would not have to be hidden since they are wood also- and thus I would not need that facing you mentioned?- would this be a better option than the metal slides?? the picture of this item is on Amazon--
Btibpse Wooden Drawer Slides 17-3/4 Inches Classic Wood Center Guide Track with Slide Glides 45cm (1 pcs)

Attached Images  
Old 10-30-19, 08:17 AM
When looking for them don't get hung up just looking for "under mount". They usually just mean that the slider is attached to the underside of the drawer sides and they still often attach them to the cabinet sides.
A conventional drawer/shelf slide is not the same as an under mount, they mount differently and are not interchangeable.

The wood pieces would not proved a smooth or secure operation and would have limited weight capacity!

Old 10-30-19, 09:28 AM
M
I understand and appreciate your input-- so what you said in the beginning is that I am looking for is an under mount- correct??

Old 10-30-19, 10:35 AM
M
Yes the slide you show is just an old school drawer slide.
Will it work, yes probably. Often waxing (a crayon will work) the faces that rub on each other help them slide.

As far as a facing. Get a 1X2 (or whatever) and glue and nail/screw it to the front of your drawer (for lack of a better word)

Old 10-30-19, 12:36 PM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
another option is to use an articulating wall mount and attach it to the rear wall of the cabinet.

https://www.av-express.com/full-moti...caAiyXEALw_wcB

I basically have the same style cabinet but in a corner configuration instead of flat to the wall. I used this style mount and it works well.

- Peter

Old 10-30-19, 01:21 PM
M
I beg to differ with Marq1.
Just to be sure I went and got a ball bearing so called side mount slide from the basement. Laid it flat on a table, pressed down on the slide as hard as I could and it still slides out with no trouble.

OOPS Forgot the jiggery pokery bit.
Just about anything will do .
You could attach a couple wood block stops.
Even a cord attached to the back of the existing shelf and the back of your drawer would do the trick.

On thing to be careful about is to tie the cables to the TV or stand.
Then have a loop or just slack so that you are not constantly flexing the cables at the connectors.

Old 10-31-19, 06:47 AM
I beg to differ with Marq1.
And that is fine!

If I had some parts laying around that could be re-purposed that is what I would do, but I'll bet he dosent so lets advise what is the best parts to use for the job until we know otherwise!

Old 10-31-19, 07:47 AM
M
All I am trying to do is give him options.
He seems to be having a lot of trouble finding what will do the job.

The slides in the video link he posted look ideal but if he cannot get them then they are not an option.

Old 11-12-19, 07:11 PM
M
just n update guys- i have the wood and the slides- and will attempt the job soon- thanks to all for the advice.