Keeping epoxy off of the threads?

Old 03-02-24, 10:54 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Keeping epoxy off of the threads?

I need to attach a hex nut to a galvanized metal box. I thought about using some epoxy to hold it there but I'd need to put a screw in the nut to hold it in place while the epoxy cures.

If I do that, I'm concerned that the epoxy will get in the threads of the screw and nut causing the screw to not come out.

Is there something I can put on the threads to prevent the epoxy from sticking to them but still allow the epoxy to bind the nut to the box?

TIA!
​​​​​​

Old 03-02-24, 11:55 AM
C
Received 25 Upvotes on 22 Posts
Some possibilities:
- a magnet inside the box to hold the nut in place
- a sacrificed plastic screw (a little out there, I know, but maybe you have one in the inventory)
- a nail across the nut and another nail across the hole inside the box, held in place with a zip tie til the glue dries

Old 03-02-24, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 893 Upvotes on 754 Posts
Have you checked out Rivnuts? The tool to install them is only $20. Might be an easier option than gluing on a nut depending on the size of nut/bolt you are using.

XSleeper voted this post useful.
Old 03-02-24, 12:14 PM
D
Thanks everyone! I've never heard of rivnuts before. Having Read the reply above, just went and watched some videos about them. They look very promising as a solution to this problem.

Old 03-02-24, 12:35 PM
Group Moderator
I was also recently introduced to them when I was installing some steel shelving in my service van. I was surprised that my local Menards carried the tool and nuts up to 1/4"-20. The tool there took a bit of hand strength but I also saw that Amazon has some heavier duty installation tools available. Harbor Freight also has a similar tool available.

Old 03-02-24, 01:41 PM
D
I just picked up the tool and some rivnuts at my local Menards. It does look promising.

Old 03-02-24, 02:41 PM
D
How do you know when to stop squeezing the tool together? I kept squeezing because I thought they needed to close together more and the threaded part that holds the insert broke off in the insert. I had to drill the insert to remove it.

Old 03-02-24, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
I got the same tool at Menards. (Surebonder) You need to do some of test nuts on some scrap and adjust the stop screw. it just needs to squeeze the nut enough until it is secure. I used 1/4"-20 nuts so I didn't have much to worry about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: