Finally got a family care practitioner

Old 12-22-16, 10:07 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Finally got a family care practitioner

Today my wife and I finally hooked up with a family practitioner (doctor). It's been about 10 to 15 years since our previous doctor retired and passed away. So we both had a general physical. Wifey has been put on a low dosage blood thinner, but other than that no problems for either of us. While we were there we also got our flu shot and pneumonia shot and scheduled our shingles shot for next week.

But both of us show a slightly elevated blood pressure. Which for both of us has been a normal thing all our lives. However, we are going along with the blood testing and a request to monitor and log our blood pressure. Personally, I think we are wasting out time but since we are seniors no harm done and they will have a record of our situation.

Which brings up my question. Wifey wants to buy a blood pressure kit. I've looked on e-bay and Amazon for reference. Prices range from $5 to 0ver $60 for a digital type. And there is also the typical cuff style. Anybody want to comment on the accuracy and reliability on the digital and/or the cuff units?
I'll end up at Walmart or our drug store for the actual purchase.

PS...The Doctor is a young female and very friendly and seemed competent. Not pushy or trying to order is to do things that we did not want. It's Five Star Family Care, which I think is a national chain.

Old 12-22-16, 10:51 AM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
I have this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Easy to use and pretty fast. So far has agreed with doctors office readings within a point or two....

The cuff fits fine on my big muscular arms (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

I only use it maybe once a month so I just use the batteries; if you are going to be taking it daily or more it might be worth getting the AC adapter.

Old 12-22-16, 12:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
We have one I bought at CVS a number of years ago. I think it was around $25. It has the cuff and is battery operated with a digital display - systolic, diastolic and pulse. As far as I know it's fairly accurate.

Old 12-22-16, 01:09 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Wife just came home with the Walgreens $49 (on sale for $29) HoMedics unit. Does the same as the one Marksr uses. Has 5 year warranty and 100% return policy if it does not perform. To me it's another electronic toy I can play with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: