Pool heater condenser fan won't turn on

Old 08-24-16, 07:19 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pool heater condenser fan won't turn on

I bought a used pool heater for my pool that is currently under construction. The heater I purchased was only used for 6 months, as the homeowner wanted to switch to a heater/chiller. It is basically new and was disconnected fully functional, but sat for 6 months in the south florida heat without being used. After getting the heater home I wanted to check that the compressor and fan turned on. I hooked power up and pushed the contactor in, and the compressor turned on but the fan didn't. I only let it run for about 10 seconds two separate times, as the water is not hooked up yet. Even though there is no water hooked up shouldnt the fan have gone on too? I checked the capacitor(continuity), fan motor(by hitting the fan relay), and checked the contactor(continuity between L1T1L2T2. Everything seems to be ok. Don't want to mess with this too much before it gets hooked up, but want a heater that is going to function. Any help would be appreciated. The model is an ecostealth eco 1500. Thanks Bill

Old 08-24-16, 08:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
http://ecostealthpro.com/wp-content/...anual-v1-4.pdf

I don't think an Ohm test is an accurate measurement of capacitance.
Your car battery doesn't have to read 0 volts before it will not start your car.
I have never trusted that test.

There are plenty of meters that can check caps.

If you get 240VAC between Com on the fan relay and contactor L1 you should verify that the blade spins freely and check or replace the fan run cap.
Name:  pool htr blowup.jpg
Views: 1799
Size:  42.6 KB

Old 08-24-16, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
The fan is controlled by one relay and possibly two. It's very possible the fan doesn't come on instantly. The system could be in a two minute defrost cycle.

In the link below is the manual for your heater. There is a wiring diagram at the end. You're going to need to check for voltages at the relay(s).

ecostealthpro/uploads/2014/03/ECOSTEALTH-Owners-Operating-Manual-v1-4.pdf

Old 08-24-16, 08:39 PM
K
thank you for your response. I already changed the fan cap, and it did nothing to help. The fan turns freely, as I pushed the fan relay and the fan turned right on and sounded brand new.

Old 08-24-16, 08:44 PM
K
Pjmax I never thought about having a delayed relay. Is this normal in this type of heater. Is there a way of checking this without running it for a couple minutes. Don't want to run it dry and damage something. Thank you

Old 08-24-16, 08:54 PM
K
Pjmax I never thought about having a delayed relay. Is this normal in this type of heater. Is there a way of checking this without running it for a couple minutes. Don't want to run it dry and damage something. Thank you

Old 08-24-16, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
You need to be specific.

You said fan won't turn on. That makes the fan sound defective.
Then you said you pushed the fan relay in and the fan sounded fine.

Then the fan IS fine.
The cap IS fine.
You have an issue on the control board.

Not actually an issue since as I mentioned before.... the fan turn-on could be delayed. I'm not familiar with the model you bought.

You're going to need to hook up to water to test completely.

Old 08-24-16, 09:16 PM
K
I was under the impression that the fan always turns on as soon as the compressor turns on(like an ac). I by passed the control board by pushing the contactor just to test the function of the fan and compressor before hook up. I only let it run about 10-15 seconds. The fan never turned on but it did when I hit the fan relay. So there may be a built in delay for the condenser fan to turn on? Sorry for the confusion.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: