Trane xe800 electrical

Old 10-29-16, 03:38 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trane xe800 electrical

My air carrier fan would not come back on after shutting my air conditioning off for a few days. I powered everything down and the fan was getting power but it was not spinning so I thought it might be the capacitor. I shut everything back off and disconnected the capacitor but I did not flip the second breaker and the capacitor sparked when I touched it with a screwdriver. now nothing will come back on at all not the outside unit not the air carrier not the under the house unit. If that capacitor is completely blown will that stop everything else from turning on? Or do I have a bigger problem

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-16, 10:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You posted in the heat pump section.... is that a heat pump or just a split A/C unit ?
The XE 800 is just a group.... not a model number.

I'm not completely following you. I don't know what's under your house.
There are two parts to the system.
The condensor is the outside compressor and fan.
The air handler is the inside part that contains the evaporator coil and blower.

There should be a disconnect for the outside unit, near the unit, and it may contain fuses. There will also be a circuit breaker for the condensor. Usually a 2P30A breaker. Check for fuses and be sure to turn breaker all the way off and then back on.

Even with a problem outside... the inside blower should still work if the stat is put in FAN ON or A/C mode.

Do you have a meter ? You're going to need to carefully check for 240v at the equipment.

Old 10-31-16, 08:51 AM
R
this is a heat pump/AC unit. Under my house I have the heat/Cooling system with the air carrier unit. Outside I have the compressor unit. I found last night that when I press the contactor switch on the comressor unit it comes on. I replaced it just in case today. I also replaced the capacitor that I shorted out on the air carrier under the house and then found another contactor switch inside that unit. I have not tried pressing this to see if the unit comes on. The outside comressor is getting power because when I press the contactor switch it powers up. The problem is that neither the under the house unit or the outside unit's contactor switches are engaging and staying engaged. There are two large Pull handle fuses outside at the compressor and one under the house with the unit. I have pulled both out and reseated them but still nothing. The model number is: TWJ724A100A0

Old 10-31-16, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
So the capacitor you changed and the fireworks were on the air handler.
Do you have a meter ?
You need to check for 24VAC on the R and C terminals.
You may have lost the 24VAC control transformer.

Old 10-31-16, 12:04 PM
R
I'm thinking it's the transformer as well. I get no power to the air carrier or the outside unit but when I press the contactor switch in on the outdoor unit it comes on. The capacitor I sparked and then changed was inside and there's no transformer on the outside unit at all making me think this one transformer is the prob. I did not try to press the contactor switch on the air carrier because I figured if they were connected to the same transformer sonce I can't find another one anywhere then that would be the problem. I went and got a new one but the parts store gave me the wrong part so I have to go back again.