Not used to air handler noise

Old 07-19-17, 06:32 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Not used to air handler noise

Hey guys, one more question. So I recently replaced a 20 year old unit with a split heat pump. I did notice however the air handler is slightly on the loud side. Not too bad but definitely noticeable. My 20 year old unit was definitely quieter but obviously way less "powerful." My question is I guess is this normal for air handlers of today. The unit is upstairs so not in attic or garage. The sound is kind of like a higher pitched type hum. Like I said not distracting or anything but definitely noticeable. Anyway I could ever dampen the noise if I should ever want to?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-17, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
Many replacement units appear louder than their counterparts. It could be strictly design, increased airflow or lack of adequate insulation in the blower compartment.

That would probably be something to check with the installer on.

Old 07-19-17, 08:43 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yea I actually just put the filter cover on and the high pitched hum went away. It sounds better now but the unit is still a little louder then my old unit but as you said I'm probably just not use to the new more powerful units. I do feel like it could use some dampening somehow. Any way I could achieve this myself?

Old 07-19-17, 09:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
A lot of the transmitted noise is due to thinner construction materials like the metal cabinet.

It would be experimental but you might try using some encapsulated insulation to wrap around it. Roxul would work too but be tough to attach without making a mess.