Help with Goodman GPD14 with outdoor TSTAT and Honeywell T6Pro Wifi

Old 01-10-18, 08:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help with Goodman GPD14 with outdoor TSTAT and Honeywell T6Pro Wifi

Could someone please help me figure out some conceptual questions as well as issues that I am having with my setup. My heatpump is a Dual fuel Goodman GPD14 heat pumo with an outdoor TSTAT (OTDFPKG-01) set at 45 degrees F. My thermostat is Lyric T6Pro WiFi model 2003. The wires were checked the the correct wires are going to the correct terminal between the GPD14 and the thermostat by the labels (ie. Y1-Y1, W1-W1, W2-W2 etc and the R/Rc was set to 1 wire. No ventilater.

My conceptual questions:

1. Does the GPD14 with the TSTAT setup that I have mean that the unit will not activate gas as all until the outdoor temperature is below 45 degree? How about E-heat, would that activate the gas heat?

2. At outdoor temperature below 45 degrees the heatpump should shutoff and gas heat should activate, however, the GPD14 has two gas stages. How does that work with a thermostat that is wired with compressor (heatpump) at stage 1 and W1 and W2 also wired, but the thermostat is only setup with 1 stage of compressor heat and one stage of AUX heat.

The problems that I am having...

1. The heatpump will activate properly when the outdoor temperature is above 45 degrees in compressor mode, but I can not activate the gas no matter what I try. Changing the temperature setting to above my setpoint to aux heat would just shut down the unit.

2. When the ourdoor temperature is below 45 degrees, the gas heat does start to run but it would shutoff but I think it would shutoff a while later. (I will double check the shutoff part when the temp dips o 20 in a couple of days).

3. Does anyone else have the same setup that can share the thermostat settings? I am almost sure that this have to do the the settings or a mis-understanding of how the ourdoor TSTAT is impacting operations.

My thermostat settings are as follows:
System type = heat pump
Equipment type = air to air
reversing valve = O/B on cool for the O wire
Cool stages = 1
heat stages = 1
aus/E Stage = 1 (only choices are 0 or 1)
Fan Control = Thermostat
Aux/E Control = Both
Aux Heat Type = Gas/Oil
Fossil Fuel Kit = External (Does the outdoor TSTAT count or should this be thermostat?)
There are more, Let me know if you need more info on settings.

Any help please? Thanks.

Old 01-10-18, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,954 Upvotes on 3,547 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's always helpful to us to know what the old stat was and where the wires were connected.
I'm not real familiar with the T6.

The T6 doesn't use W1 in heat pump mode.
I believe it will be W1 to AUX and W2 to E.

Do you have the outdoor sensor connected ?
The stat probably needs to control the dual fuel action which means internal.

With a dual fuel set up.... the furnace and the heat pump cannot run at the same time.

Old 01-11-18, 05:50 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank-you. The heat pump now appears to be working with the W1 connected to W2 and W2 connected to E. I also set the fossil fuel control to thermostat instead of external. The heat pump turns on properly and when the temp differential is great enough to have the aux heat kick in, the gas heat turns on properly. I am not sure if my outdoor TSTAT that is connected to the GPD14 would be sufficient to serve as a outdoor fossil fuel kit since it only shuts down the heat pump below my set temperature of 45 degrees.

Now for another question. With the setup where Y1 is connected to Y1, W1 connected to W2/AUX, and W2 connected to Emergency; how would this work? Wouldn't this mean that my gas heat will work in gas stage 1 mode and if I want to run stage 2 gas heat, I will needI switch to emergency heat? I will let you know how it works in cold weather. The temperature here is suppose to drop from 55 degrees now to 20 degrees by midnight tonight.

There is a setting for Aux/E control for me to set to "Both". Would doing this mean that the system will always run in Stage 2 gas when ever the thermostat tells the GPD14 to switch to gas heat; thus, making the two stage system useless above my TSTAT setting of 45 degrees (I am assuming that at temperature below my set point of 45 degrees when the thermostat asks to turn on the heat with the heat pump, the TSTAT will automatically call for stage 1 gas heat in place of compressor and when the AUX is called the E-heat kicks in here)?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: