Rheem Heat Pump runs on after set temp is reached

Old 02-19-18, 08:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rheem Heat Pump runs on after set temp is reached

I posted a while ago about my Rheem RPOL 036JEZ locking out showing code L21. They first replaced the fan motor and that didn’t help and just last week replaced the expansion valve. That did seem to solve the lock out problem but it has not been very cold here lately. But I’m going to assume that is fixed.

Before the fix when the unit was locking out I noticed that the unit was running way too long and continued to run with both the set temp and the indoor temp reading the same value. So if the set is 67 the indoor temp would also read 67 and the unit would run for hours. The axillary heat did not come on. I thought perhaps this was related to the lock out problem.

Since that has now been fixed, fingers crossed, that problem persists. I have noticed that when it is sort of cold temp in the 30’s or lower the unit will run on and on. If the outdoor temp is more in the 40’s it will shut off eventually. But here is what puzzles me. When the unit is running on an on, say the set point is 67 and indoor temp also reads 67, if I bump the set temp up to 68 the indoor temp shows 68 within two minutes but the unit continues to run on. If I lower the set point back to 67 the thermostat clicks and the unit goes off shortly. Why can the unit raise the temp one degree quickly but not turn off when the set and indoor temps match? It is a Honeywell Focus Pro TH5000 series.

Any insight would be much appreciated.

Old 02-19-18, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
So if the set is 67 the indoor temp would also read 67 and the unit would run for hours.
If the heat was running for hours..... the room temperature would surely go up.
Have you confirmed the increase with another thermometer.
Maybe just the blower is running.

Old 02-19-18, 11:48 AM
Have not confirmed with another thermometer but the outdoor unit continues to run as well.

Old 02-19-18, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
That's not making sense. If the unit kept running.... the actual temperature would have to rise too.

So if you set the thermostat to 70f..... it would run for hours and the inside temp would still be 70f ?

Old 02-19-18, 01:30 PM
I have not tried 70 but when I bump it to 68 that's what happens. I don't let it run for hours but a good while. Then when I take it back to 67 every thing shuts off. I have not been able to check on the temp with another thermometer yet as it is warm here today and the unit is not coming on at all. I'm not interested in trying it a higher temps as I got a 978.00 electric bill for the month that involved the locking out.

yes agree it doesn't make sense

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: