New Thermostat on Heat pump, no heat.

Old 03-04-18, 04:15 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy New Thermostat on Heat pump, no heat.

So we recently bought a house with a pretty old heat pump system. Everything is in working order and it was serviced before we moved in, heat and cooling is in working order. The house had one of those ancient mercury thermostats and we decided to switch to a digital to make our lives less difficult. We got a cheap honeywell (https://customer.honeywell.com/resou...33-00102ES.pdf) and installed it according to the manual. We chose it because it states compatibility with heat pump systems. The temperature dropped drastically overnight and when we went to turn the heat on, the system kicks on but it is blowing room temperature/cold air.
I've tried everything recommended online, it's switched to heat and the "heat on" indicator comes on.
I checked the settings and it is setup to the heat pump option.

The wires are all connected as described in the manual, but we did notice a few things during installation, and I don't know if any of it could make a difference. The only wires our system has is O, R, Y, G, and X. We did not have B, W, or Rc Cables. Our external unit is only a few years old, but the inside unit and wiring is quite old. There isn't much I can tell you about the system, the inside unit has pretty much no information on it or model number or even a brand that I can see, and all I know is that we have a heat pump system. The AC has also been running fine since we installed the new thermostat about 2 weeks ago.

I feel like we're doing something wrong, can anyone tell us how we're being stupid?

Old 03-04-18, 04:47 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
Do you have auxiliary heat? Most all residential heat pumps do, and if so that’s the wrong thermostat.
Does the outdoor unit come on at all?
Read page 6 of the install guide. Did you install the jumper?

Old 03-04-18, 05:12 AM
E
I honestly have no idea if we have an aux back up or not, our system has like zero information, I just knew it was a heat pump because the ancient thermostat specified that (we're the worst new homeowners ever). As for the jumper part between Y and W I don't think we did because we didn't understand if it was between the cables (we have no W cable) or between the terminals, and how we would do that since the thermostat didn't come with anything to do it with.

Also does it matter which terminal we have the O wire attached to? I was reading some confusing information about it attaching to O or B terminal, depending on how your reversing valve is set up.

Old 03-04-18, 05:22 AM
E
Also, we live in Florida, so it wouldn't surprise me if we didn't have auxiliary heat, we use the heater maybe once a year (and when I say the temperate dropped drastically, I mean Florida cold from 90 to about 65)

Old 03-04-18, 05:23 AM
R
Received 199 Upvotes on 181 Posts
First, you need to determine exactly what equipment you have before attempting to setup a thermostat. There are a few brands that power the reversing valve to heat, most are power to cool. What is yours?

Old 03-04-18, 05:38 AM
E
I just went outside, our condenser is a goodman gsh130301cb. The inside unit has a model number ff1bna030 that when I search for online seems to correspond to Carrier, but it's seriously old so I can't find any information on it.

Old 03-04-18, 07:34 AM
E
I found in the closet where the inside unit is kept on one of the labels in faint writing either the Ac guy or the previous owner wrote "no heat strip" i'm assuming this means they did not have the auxiliary power heat strip installed years ago?

Old 03-04-18, 08:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 94 Upvotes on 87 Posts
Okay, that thermostat shouldwill support your system but it must be setup for a heat pump.

On the back of the thermostat there is a switch that must be set for heat pump.

The thermostat System Setup must also be adjusted...

Enter System Setup:

To enter system setup, press and hold
both the (Up triangle) and ( Down Triangle)
buttons until the display
changes (approximately 5 seconds).

Change function 5 to 3

I would then give it a heating demand then go outside to verify that the heat pump is running and th larger copper pipe connecting the heat pump to the house is hot.

Old 03-04-18, 08:00 PM
E
We did that during installation, its definitely set to heat pump. We're going to try jumping the Y and W terminal, we're assuming thats what the installation guide means, even though it didn't give us anything to do it with

Old 03-04-18, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Did you make sure the stat is set to O for heat pump operation ?
If not set.... the compressor will run but be in cooling mode.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-04-18 at 09:50 PM. Reason: removed incorrect information
Old 03-04-18, 09:10 PM
E
I'm not sure, so we attached the O, R, Y and G wires during installation. R and Rc come already jumped and it says to leave it like that. X is not in use and we have it taped off like it says. I switched the switch inside the thermostat to the heat pump option, and we did the advanced installation to set it up and make sure it was running in heat pump mode. On page 6 it says to install a jumped between y and w if you are have a heat pump with out an aux back up, which should be us, but we don't have anything to jump it with, it didn't come with anything. If that's not the problem what else could it be?

Old 03-04-18, 09:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It specifically says cannot be used on heat pumps with aux heat and yet it requires a jumper if not using aux heating. That makes no sense at all.

You are correct. That stat does require a jumper from Y to W based on the instructions. You can use any small piece of wire as a jumper. Even a piece of telephone wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: