Replaced thermostat and air conditioner is not working very well

Old 07-22-18, 11:18 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replaced thermostat and air conditioner is not working very well

Background:
Rheem furnace w/ heat pump was working just fine but thermostat started to go out. The screen became unreadable. Replaced with a Honeywell RTH6360 and followed instructions and hooked it up.

Everything seems to operate fine (furnace comes on, compressor comes on), and is blowing air but the air is around 72 degrees. It also seems that itís not blowing as hard as it did before. (Its currently 100 degrees in FL and the unit can not cool the house below 80.)

I have spent hours researching the internet and canít seem to find the proper information.

I am positive that it has something to do with the hookup of the new thermostat because it froze me out last night LOL.

PLEASE HELP A SWEATY MAN IN A HOT HOUSE!
I can supply any info for anything on this unit if requested.

Old 07-23-18, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Without knowing the wiring of the old thermostat and how you wired the new one... we can't offer much help.

Old 07-23-18, 12:03 PM
M
I have pictures of how the old one was wired and how the new one is wired. I will post them

Old 07-23-18, 12:29 PM
M
I guess you will have to view the link in a new tab. Not sure how to get the picture to pop up.

These are pictures of the old thermostat wiring
Old Thermostat 1
Name:  Photo Jul 22, 4 13 27 PM.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  57.5 KB

Old Thermostat 2
Name:  Photo Jul 22, 4 17 15 PM.jpg
Views: 1163
Size:  58.1 KB

This is a link to the new thermostat wiring
New Thermostat 1
Name:  Photo Jul 23, 1 24 18 PM.jpg
Views: 3599
Size:  68.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 07-23-18 at 01:33 PM. Reason: added pics from links
Old 07-23-18, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Your wiring is correct. You need to go into programming and change the O/B heat pump setting to B.
The factory default is O.

Old 07-23-18, 01:54 PM
M
I changed the heat pump setting at install because at first it was blowing hot air. Swapped the O/B in settings and it began blowing semi cold air. I checked the compressor after and its exhaust was hot instead of cold. I checked the blower motor in furnace and the lead attached is the highest speed. It seems as if the unit is not operating at its maximum speed and maximum cooling potential. Also on another note I just checked the registers with a FLIR and were at around 62 to 65 degrees. So that is a plus. I didn't believe it to be possible for the thermostat to have any effect on blower motor speed for a single stage seeing as it just sends the start signal correct? Really mind boggling me.

Old 07-23-18, 01:57 PM
Group Moderator
Now that I'm re-reading your opening post..... you said furnace and heat pump...... is that correct ?
The G connection should tell the blower to operate in high speed mode.

Old 07-23-18, 02:29 PM
M
Yeah it is a Rheem Furnace and Rheem heat pump. Does that mean something needs to be swapped around on the wiring?

Old 07-23-18, 02:49 PM
Group Moderator
The only difference with Rheem is utilizing B instead of O.
One problem here is you have a dual fuel setup..... gas furnace and electric heat pump. That thermostat doesn't support a dual fuel system. With dual fuel..... when the system goes into AUX or E heat..... the thermostat must shut down the heat pump. The heat pump and furnace cannot run at the same time or the heat pump can be damaged.

Old 07-23-18, 02:56 PM
M
I am sorry I may have used the wrong words, excuse my inability to illustrate properly. When I say furnace I am just talking about the *air handler* inside. (Maybe that's the right word? LOL) The air handler isn't gas. All the heating and cooling are done through the electric heat pump.

Old 07-23-18, 03:00 PM
M
I am assuming that the problem I am experiencing is that for some reason due to my new thermostat, the unit is not understanding to let the blower motor fan run on wide open? Everything else seems to be functioning just fine. Big line cold, small line hot, condensate pipe dripping. Colder air coming out of the registers. Just doesn't seem to be enough air to get the house down in temp through the day. (All while keeping in mind that it had no problem before this thermostat, and air filter is clean as well as coils)

Old 07-25-18, 07:27 AM
A
Received 245 Upvotes on 225 Posts
It willl take time to cool down the house when you get home and find it 90 plus degrees inside. Wait until you get down to your incorrect supposedly low limit of 80 degrees inside After that somehow I think that 62 or so degrees is too warm for air just exiting the cooling coils.

Is there a manual louver somewhere to change from bringing in outside air to recirculating inside air? Put this in full recirculating mode. Also check for broken duct work in an area such as the attic outside the cooled living area letting unwanted new hot air into the mix.

Does your system include "emergency" or "auxiliary" heat? Double check to be sure that those components (resistance heating) are not energized perhaps due to a wiring error. You may find some exposed connections you could unhook and tape off temporarily while you find out whether everything else is working correctly.

As far as I know, home heat pump systems have just "on" and "off" conditions for the cooling mechanism and room temperature is determined by cycle length in turn determined by the thermostat. There are no "medium high", "medium", and "medium low" etc. gradations for either the cooling or the fan that would need research into whether the system is going into the desired gradation at a particular time.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-25-18 at 07:43 AM.
Old 07-25-18, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
Ok....so you just have a heat pump with backup electric heat. Correct.... there is only one active blower speed used.

You have the white wire on AUX which is correct. You should put the black wire on the next terminal down... E.... for emergency heat. AUX heat is the heat pump and electric heat. E heat is just the electric.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: