Advice on Heat Pump Replacement

Old 12-21-18, 10:48 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Advice on Heat Pump Replacement

I am looking to replace my old heat pump system. Due to hot Florida summers and the fluctuation of people in my home at any time, I am looking at a multi-stage system. I currently have it narrowed down to an American Standard Gold 17 system (2-stage) or an American Standard Platinum 18(Variable stage) system. The full variable system is not a ton more than the 2 stage system, so thought it may be worth it. I read on a couple sites that there may be some reliability concerns with a full variable stage system, but the websites did not provide a ton of detail. What are your thoughts on this? Does a variable stage system present strong reliability concerns? What about the American Standard models in general?

Also, I have the option to add an electronic air filter (Accuclean) with my system. What are your thoughts on those? I know there is a small cost savings from not having to replace air filters, but the big draw for me would a potential increase in the air quality. I have horrible year round sinus/allergy issues, and would not be opposed to investing in something that could potentially help. Is there a difference in the air quality with these types of systems, or is it more of a marketing gimmick and they will provide about the same air quality as a disposable filter?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-18, 09:22 AM
A
Received 46 Votes on 41 Posts
An electronic air cleaner is great as long as you can spend a couple of hours a month cleaning it. Most are better served with a 4 or 5" pleated air filter. The standard 1" is really only for protecting the equipment.