Aux heat issue with heat pump

Old 01-22-19, 06:25 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Aux heat issue with heat pump

Had a new Goodman 4 ton and AtU air handler installed to replace old Luxaire last Jan. Electric heat usage has been higher since installed. I bought a temp gun and tested heat coming from vents. Seems like aux heat is coming on within minutes of turning up thermostat even 1 degree. Same thermostat and Slimzone classic as used in previous system.
Any advice..cant afford to keep paying these significantly higher bills. I had the installation tech back.He said pump is operating as should but couldn't explain why aux was kicking in so fast

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-19, 07:18 PM
S
First thing is to find a new tech. It's obvious here knows nothing about heat pumps.

Old 01-22-19, 07:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not a big user of the Slimzone. According to the manual...... the AUX is controlled by a timer on that board. It apparently doesn't go by the thermostat setting.

The auxiliary heat in heat pump systems is controlled by an internal control panel timer.
Whenever the heat pump is in the heating mode, the control panel will energize the auxiliary
heat output if the heating call is not satisfied within 15 minutes. Once the auxiliary heat is
energized, it will remain on until the heating call is satisfied.

There are three DIP switches on the board.
Switch 1 up for heat pump.
Switch 2 down for standard heat pump
Switch 3 down for normal heat (up for E heat)

Doesn't look like very much control over the AUX heat.
Slimzone manual (pdf)

Old 01-22-19, 07:57 PM
R
Received 104 Votes on 98 Posts
New electric heat strip may be staged different then the old unit.
Do you often raise and lower the setpoint on the thermostat?

Old 01-23-19, 04:25 AM
R
I have experimented with it as I have heard different advice. If so, I usually only move less than three degrees. Majority of time I just left it. Tried Turning it down at night. I read about the staged aux heat for the slimzone which is why I am thinking there may be something wrong with that. Aux kicks in too early. The dip switches are correctly orientated. Even when I leave the set temp alone and only turn it up 0.5 degrees the aux has kicked in quickly. My tech told me I should be able to turn it up less than 3 degrees and depending on the outside temp, the aux should not kick in. It was 0 degrees celcius here yesterday and I tried it. Aux kicked in within minutes.

Old 01-23-19, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. The manual says it's a timed function. No mention is made of the 3 degree offset like with a typical heat pump system. If it is indeed strictly a timed function...... the unit is bad.