E/W1 with Jumper to W2

Old 01-26-19, 07:00 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
E/W1 with Jumper to W2

Hi,

When ADT installed my Nest, they connect the white wire to W2/AuX, blue wire to C, red to RH, yellow to Y1, green to G, brown to OB slot.

In the summer it works fine, in the winter, it doesnt get warm, very high electricity bill. Should I switched it from W2/aux to the *??

I attached the original diagram from the old one and the nest.

Attached Images   
Old 01-26-19, 12:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The nest is wired correctly. Here's the problem with thermostats and heat pumps. When the room temperature is 3 or more degrees below the setpoint..... the AUX heat is turned on with the heat pump running to assist it in recovering. I need to check and see how the nest handles the AUX issue.

Also.... if you have a problem with the heat pump.... the electric coils will run longer and more often.
Is your heat pump running outside ?

You could remove the W2/AUX wire and see if the heat pump is running and how warm it gets without the benefit of the electric coils. The nest may show a warning code when the white wire is removed. That is ok.

Old 01-28-19, 08:15 PM
O
I think i tried that option, remove the white wire as it was suggested by the Nest tech support. It didn't have any heat come out at all.

I read from a website, E/W1 is pretty E, so put it in the star slot, the heat comes out, but for some reason it will not heat up properly at all. Like I set it to 68, came back next day it still says 62. The display says aux heat.

Old 01-28-19, 08:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Did you check and make sure your heat pump is running ?
You want to run it without the E heat as a test to see if it's working.
If not.... you may be low on refrigerant. That's a real common problem when it gets real cold as the low pressure can get so low that the compressor won't start to due to the low pressure safety switch.

Old 01-28-19, 08:54 PM
O
I don't know if it is running or not, to be honest. Two days ago, I had AC tech checking it for me, he said looks like the heat coil or heat pump is not turning on. It was wired by having white wire in W2 aux. He said he can forced it on by re-do some wiring inside the unit that is in the attic, but then something has to be done again during warmer months. When I look at the history, it says it was heated for 11 hours smh

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: