Most efficient placement of in wall fan heater

Old 01-26-19, 10:28 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most efficient placement of in wall fan heater

Hi,

We had our furnace catch fire so we are looking to install a cadet com-pak twin 3000 unit in our living room/dining room area. It's not that big an area 24x11 so it should be plenty of heater, although there is a staircase on one wall of the room, but I still think the 3000 will be enough, the only other room in the downstairs is a 10x15 kitchen which I'm going to put a 1500 so between those two I don't think they will have any trouble keeping the downstairs warm.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cadet-Co...02TW/100085276

The problem is since the rooms aren't the largest we don't have many places down low that we could put the wall heaters as we have things on pretty much every square inch of wall. So it would work out a lot better if we could install them higher up on the wall, like 4-5 foot high.

I figured this would be a popular question here/other places online but I'm having a hard time figuring out how much of a difference it makes the higher/lower you put a fan wall heater. Possibly I'm just not using the right search terms.

Does anyone know how much of a difference height makes when installing a fan based wall heater?

Thank you,
Jake W.

Old 01-26-19, 10:37 AM
J
Oh we are in central PA as I'm finding a little info that says climate can dictate placement height.

Old 01-26-19, 11:13 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
The heater will heat best if down low but it will still heat if it's mounted higher as it is fan forced. The instructions even show mounting the single unit in the ceiling. One downfall to mounting a heater up high is it will blacken the ceiling above the unit.

Cadet installation (pdf)

Old 01-27-19, 12:48 PM
J
Thank you PJmax! I did searches on placement of heating vents for forced air systems and they pretty much all said in a climate like mine its better to have the vents down low so I think I'm going to go ahead and make it work down low.

I have two spots I'm trying to decide between. One is 12" off the ground but it is just a few feet from the wall of the room. The wall with the stairway to the upstairs. I kind of feel like this 3000 should take care of this 24x11 even though heat will also run up the stairs. It just goes up to a 3'x20' foot hallway so I think it should be able to take care of both without any issues.

But a small part of me worries maybe the far end of the room by the door might not get enough heat so I am thinking about one other possible spot we have but it would blow under one edge of a table and the table leg is right out at the 3 foot mark where the directions say nothing should hit.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: