Heat pump compressor not starting.

Old 03-25-19, 05:09 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Heat pump compressor not starting.

First hello and thanks in advance for any advice.
Unit is a heat pump package Fridgidaire Q3RA-036K
I noticed last week the capacitor may be going bad and has been slow to start the condenser fan. So I got new capacitor and also got one for blower motor. Just trying to be proactive and avoid summer failure. Last year also had a ladybug get into contactor that I cleaned. So also got a contactor to replace it while was inside panel. Unit has been running good with no problems other than stated previously. I replaced blower capacitor and dual capacitor 50/5 also replaced contactor. Restored power and thermostat to heat upon call for heat, blower running and condenser fan running compressor not. Cannot even hear compressor trying? So was getting late and starting to rain, hastily I removed new contactor thinking must be bad since was running fine before and capacitor side of fan is working. Put back old contactor sadly same result. This morning checked that contactor was pulling in I have 25 volts across coil and 238 volts supply also 238 volts at T1 T2. So I am at a loss of why could it appear to be correct and again blower and condenser fan but no compressor? Only can guess as possible bad capacitor or did something short if new contactor was bad? Anything that would prevent compressor from running other than capacitor or catastrophic loss of compressor ugh! Can make further readings as needed. I just will have to try a new capacitor as I don’t have a meter capable of checking them. Also capacitor is less than meter at this moment. However, will be purchasing better meter as a result of this experience. Thank you for your time and consideration.

Old 03-25-19, 10:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It sounds like you mis-wired the capacitor. A few pictures of the wiring would be helpful.
How-to-insert-pictures.

Old 03-25-19, 11:14 PM
S
Will take photo in morning and upload. Thanks

Old 03-26-19, 06:22 AM
S
Capacitor photo followed by contactor with 5 views.
Checked this morning and removed condenser fan so could hear and I do hear compressor just humming. Only ran for about 10 seconds to verify.

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-19, 06:26 AM
S
Contactor wiring photos 5 total views

Attached Images      
Old 03-26-19, 01:28 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, sure sounds like the cap is wired wrong, post the wiring Dia.
Geo

Old 03-26-19, 05:08 PM
S
I would like to say I got it running. All is good and back to normal again. Long story short is the contactor t1 and t2 reversed. The embarrassing part is that I saw that both of these the crimp in terminal was loose on wire. That is why they had no terminals in the last photo I had removed old and realized I didn’t have any more that size. So put just wire back and moved on to change the contactor as stated from original post. Actually one of the first things I saw and knew to correct when opened cabinet. Thanks for your attention and time with my post. Just shows that I overlooked it and was all me to blame. I learned from that experience. First time using forum and will do again if any other diy questions. Best wishes, Scott

Old 03-26-19, 05:59 PM
Group Moderator
Trying to find a wiring diagram. The one I have is from a similar unit.
It shows compressor yellow and capacitor yellow on the same T terminal.

Name:  frigid_n.JPG
Views: 365
Size:  51.4 KB

You'll need to match the colors in this diagram to your contactor. I removed all the other wiring. We're concentrating on the T1 and T2 terminals. I believe you have them miswired.

Last edited by PJmax; 03-26-19 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-26-19, 06:22 PM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you saw my post and diagram before I changed it.

Good job.

Old 03-26-19, 06:40 PM
S
Thanks pjmax for your help. I just saw your post, I found it earlier and got it running. I remembered going to repair terminals and then not having them so put them back crossing them inadvertently and everything went down hill from there. Mistakes happen that was my fault and lesson learned. Thanks again sir.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: