charging heat pump system

Old 07-10-19, 07:09 AM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
charging heat pump system

Every few years I will need to call a technician for some problem I have with one of two heat pumps. I ask them if they mind if I watch them thinking I might learn something or have a better understanding of these systems.

Invariably, I will need a "shot" of coolant, usually two pounds. They do not suggest a leak test, say this is normal (but I hear there should be no loss of gas from the system if it is not leaking.) In charging my system they hook up their gauges, take a reading, add the R410 is a minute or two and off they go. One turned the 25 lb cylinder upside down and shook it to get the last out of it. Each time they leave the system seems to work properly.

Now, I have watched some videos on line that talk about purging the gauges, adding short bursts of gas in liquid form only, waiting 5 minutes before adding more to let the system balance and not overfill it. So, my concern is whether the videos are technically correct but not necessary or am I getting service that will prove to shorten the life of my unit. The videos show additional test instruments in addition to the basic gauges.

Can anyone help me understand just what should be done and whether I should insist they use the full routine in adding refrigerant to my unit?

Old 07-10-19, 08:10 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Sounds like you have had some sub par techs. Id look for a different company. If you are adding refrigerant every few weeks you have a big leak. Time to find the leak and repair. Yes the pressures will need to equalize before they know the exact reading. Find another company.

Old 07-10-19, 10:28 AM
L
airman: Its every few years, not weeks.

Old 07-10-19, 05:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Every few years would be a small leak and a little on the difficult side to locate. Still.... an attempt should be made to locate it before just routinely recharging.

We can't offer much help in the way of charging as the charging can only be handled by an EPA certified tech. I do agree with airman in that you should find a new company.

I know you said others are doing the work but it's not something we can discuss.
air-conditioning-cooling-systems/charging-your-A/C

Old 07-11-19, 07:08 AM
L
PETE: I have read and understand the limitation on providing specific advice on use of refrigerants.

What I am asking is whether the wham,bam, thank you mam method I have been receiving (which has worked well for me) is adequate or whether I should insist on the full procedure I suppose technicians learned in school.

There is no problem getting a new service company. If the new company has technicians who do the same level or service I have accomplished nothing.

Old 07-11-19, 07:14 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
If the method as you describe as "wham,bam" is resulting in the unit operating correctly when their gone, then the charge is correct.

HOWEVER - You are accomplishing nothing because the service company isn't finding or attempting to find the leak. Repeat business is what their getting and you're getting a repeat bill for a service that shouldn't be happening every year or two.

Old 07-11-19, 12:41 PM
L
ok, that is fair. (extra characters added to meet posting requirements. Geez.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: