Which heat pump to buy

Old 09-01-22, 01:52 PM
L
Received 10 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Which heat pump to buy

I have spent considerable time this week taking 4 bids for a replacement heat pump. Its an attic installation for two bedrooms that are seldom used. I have asked for bids on a 2 ton, 14 or 15 SEER. I have a Goodman 3 ton downstairs and I am pleased with it after a botched initial installation.

The best bid, price wise is a 14SEER Carrier Comfort Series. I was ready to jump on this model due to price considerations but the Carrier site had over one hundred reviews posted. Most owners who were pleased overall were very unhappy over the noise level of the unit. Toward the bottom was a compilation of seriously angry owners whose equipment failed early and at large additional cost to them. I have ruled out the Carrier.

My next best bid is $500 more for a 14 SEER Daiken. I can not get hold of many reviews but the Daiken site says they bought out Goodman a few years back and that Daiken/ Goodman and Amana are the same except for the badge. The Daiken warranty is two years longer but the bid says I must have a service plan (to keep the warranty in effect???) I can not find this requirement in the Daiken written warranty. Maybe the dealer is just trying to roll me for an annual fee. The 14 Daiken comes in at $350 less than my best bid for a 15 SEER Goodman. I also have a bid for a 14 SEER American Standard at $370 more than the Daiken,

Does anyone have experience with the Daiken and can make suggestions or recommendations? I assume if they are really the same the reliability and parts availability should be the same.

Thanks

Old 09-01-22, 03:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,423 Upvotes on 3,069 Posts
Daikin........ is a Japanese company. They bought Goodman over 10 years ago. They are going to be slightly more expensive and better quality than Goodman. Goodman has more of the current market share due to exposure. I've been happy with the Goodman equipment I've worked on.

You can't always go by reviews as the installation of the equipment is more important than the equipment itself. I just bought a Goodman furnace and split A/C to replace my 33 year old system. I know I can get Goodman parts at an affordable price.

Old 09-05-22, 09:21 AM
Received 52 Upvotes on 46 Posts
The quality of the installer is what matters the most - reviews on the machine mean nothing because it's only part of a larger system.

2 ton for 2 bedrooms sounds like way too much capacity!

Old 10-15-22, 04:07 PM
S
Received 11 Upvotes on 11 Posts
There are two sources for noise - the outdoor condenser which you mostly won't hear, and the indoor blower which is most likely the source of concern. If the ductwork is undersized (or the system is oversized) then you're going to have a lot of noise.

After this, the more expensive equipment is generally quieter and more comfortable (variable speed/multi-stage systems). Just be sure to compare apples to apples and check references for whoever you select.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: