Help installing floating shelf with no instructions

Old 11-06-16, 06:32 AM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help installing floating shelf with no instructions

Hi I brought an item off Ebay (floating shelf) but the screws I have here . I've never seen them before and have no clue what to do exactly .

Name:  shelf.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  22.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-06-16 at 11:34 AM. Reason: added full sized pic
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-16, 07:19 AM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Please disassemble one of the anchors so we can see the moving parts. I would assume they are similar to these.

http://www.bluestoneshelves.com/STRO...-brackets.html

Its possible that yours are only for a masonry wall application... no way to know.

Old 11-06-16, 07:38 AM
N
No this is for a floating indoor shelf .

Here is the screw on its own as it came....

Name:  bolt.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  50.4 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 11-06-16 at 11:31 AM. Reason: added full size pic
Old 11-06-16, 11:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
As X mentioned.... those are solid mounting type fasteners. They will not work in hollow walls. They must be used in wood, concrete, brick or some other type of solid material.

That also looks be a very difficult unit to install as the fasteners MUST all be installed in the correct location or the shelf won't slide on properly.

Once you located a place to mount it where the fasteners worked.... you'd need to make a template in order to mark the drilling locations.

Old 11-06-16, 01:32 PM
N
Is their possibly a tutorial on how to do this ? I'm used to fixing most things to a wall with wall plugs just not this and from what your saying, it sounds more complicated than it should have been (ironically the person I brought it off is now ignoring me lol )

Old 11-06-16, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 675 Votes on 624 Posts
Like I said, I think this is an anchor best suited for concrete.

Closest videos I could find for your type of anchor.... which is an expanding sleeve type anchor.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_QvX4jDFhUI

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gtR0SxJxF8A

I can't tell you if threading the rod into it is what expands it, or if you need some type of punch. Either way, this is probably not an appropriate anchor for drywall or a hollow wall.

Here are some instructions I found, if it helps:

1.Applications: be widely used in fence, burglarproof doors and windows, canopy, air conditioning rack fixation, home decoration, engineering, etc.

2.The working principle of expansion screw: Put the expansion screw into the ground or the hole on the wall and then tighten the nuts of the expansion bolt with wrench. The bolt goes outside while the metal sheath does not move. Thus the bigger head of the bolt will expand the metal sheath, making it fill the whole hole. Now, the expansion screw can not be pulled out.

If you were to try to use it in a wall, you would probably have to buy some nuts and double nut the end of your threaded rod in order to get a wrench on it, while keeping another wrench on the sleeve to prevent it from turning. Then remove/discard the double nuts. I would imagine that it would not work too well.

Old 11-06-16, 03:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
We don't see the whole shelf unit in the picture but I'm guessing it has 8 bolts by its layout.

I would take a piece of cardboard like what an appliance comes in and lay it flat on something like a table. Then take your shelf unit and lay it on the cardboard so that all the fasteners hit it and press down. You need all the fasteners to make an indentation in the cardboard. This is your drilling template.

Once the type of fastener is picked out.... the template gets taped to the wall and the indentations made by the fasteners get drilled.

Normally when installing a hidden hardware shelf you need to have the fasteners end up in the studs. It doesn't look like yours will end up all in studs.

You need to tell us the measurement between wall studs and what is the mounting surface..... like hollow wallboard.

If this seller is ignoring you or had misrepresented what he's selling.... contact eBay and arrange a settlement. If this is a company seller.... they will usually take care of a problem in order to not get any negative feedback.