Fire Detection System

Old 06-10-19, 02:08 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fire Detection System

I want to build a system that detects an outdoor fire. I imagine such a system could use a heat sensor, infrared sensor or a combination of both. Once the fire is detected, it would trigger the opening of 12 volt water valves attached to my hose bibs, and then feed roof sprinklers.

I can find 12V water valves but no luck in finding an outdoor fire detection system (under a couple thousand dollars). Any ideas on how to build one?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-19, 03:44 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 619 Votes on 572 Posts
If it were as easy as you dream then they probably would be inexpensive. When you think about the technicalities of automatically detecting a fire, at distance, outside and with reasonable reliability you soon realize that it's not so simple a task.

PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 08-12-19, 10:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you my friend are on a quest for something great! While what you are thinking seems impossible I think you could do something on a small scale and then go big later with some help if you wanted to take it further such as with IBM backing you https://developer.ibm.com/callforcode/

What you seem to be in need of is some sort of microcontroller mesh network sensor array. You can find examples in various academic papers and even on Github.

I'm a fan of Xbee senors for their capability to do mesh networks fairly easily, but they do tend to be a bit spendy. I'm williing to bet you could roll out a $75 birdhouse like sensor that could be deployed every 300 feet and have decent coverage. You would have to have a base station to send that data further if you needed to, but your design wasn't really specified. See this for inspiration: https://blog.arduino.cc/2016/05/04/p...rdhouse-alarm/