How to make gas fireplace smarter?

Old 07-30-23, 05:56 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How to make gas fireplace smarter?

Today I have come home to a 98 degrees living room because someone accidentally turned on my fireplace switch instead of a light switch. The gas fireplace has been left on for like 12 hours while the AC is also on. So, I need to minimize this mistake in the future. I've done a search and found that Fireplace Remote Control WiFi Smart Switch ON/Off to Voice Activated Fireplace might be the answer. However, I'm not sure if it will work since my fireplace switch does not currently have AC power. When I measured the wires, it does not equal 120v. So, what are my options in getting this gas fireplace to be controlled remotely via WiFi or Z-wave? I want it to be able to say, if it's summer or 65 degrees above, do not allow the fireplace to be turned on even if the switch is press. Is this something doable? Many thanks in advance.

Old 07-31-23, 12:04 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I simply turn the gas line off at the log set which shuts off the pilot during the summer!

cwbuff voted this post useful.
Old 07-31-23, 05:30 AM
C
Received 351 Upvotes on 294 Posts
I have a manual switch in the basement and I also turn off the gas supply valve.

Old 07-31-23, 08:12 AM
C
I'm trying to avoid relighting the pilot and especially when it's fall time where certain days I may need to have the fireplace on.

Old 07-31-23, 04:06 PM
Received 394 Upvotes on 343 Posts
Consider a simple bimetallic thermostat wired in series with the switch. If the tístat is above Xdegrees it opens the circuit. If below X degrees it is closed and the switch controls operation.

Old 08-01-23, 07:15 AM
T
Received 209 Upvotes on 183 Posts
Note that the thermostat must be rated to switch the same voltage and current that runs through the switch presently.

Old 08-01-23, 07:54 AM
C
I just purchased this TV xStream Voice Fireplace Switch Works with Any Smart Plug from Amazon after seeing this YouTube video. I'm hoping within the app, I can schedule date/time, temperature, and send alert to my phone if it is turned on by the switch on the wall. Based on this video, the fireplace has an outlet underneath. I assumed mine should have it too? I will have to check it tonight if it does.

Old 08-02-23, 03:52 PM
C
Okay, so based on that Amazon page, here's the instruction for option 1.

However, mine looks like this.

I don't seem to hav a second male on the lower part like the image from Amazon.

Now, if I choose wall switch option, this their instruction.

However, my "wire connectors" are brown and red. The relay unit I received are two red and two black despite the image on their site shows two yellow and two red. Anyway, if I go this route, should my wall switch red goes to the red wire on the relay unit and white wire goes to the black wire on the relay and then the "wire connectors" red wire goes to the red wire on the relay unit and brown "wire connector" goes to the black wire on the relay unit? Below is an image of what I'm trying to say.

Please let me know if my wiring is incorrect. If so, please let me know what the wirings are. Thank you so much!

Old 08-02-23, 04:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,046 Upvotes on 3,630 Posts
It doesn't matter what colors your thermostat is using. There are two wires.
Make sure to use the two red wires for one color and the two brown wires for the other color.

The thermostat and that module are just contact closure devices.

Old 08-04-23, 07:49 AM
C
Thank you, I got it working; however, I don't think it's doing what I am looking for. Regardless if the relay is on or off, the wall switch can still turn on and off the fireplace, which is what I wanted. However, since the wall switch works independently of the relay or in this case the smart power plug, I have no status updates which defeats the purpose of the problem I'm trying to resolve. I think what I really wanted is the smart wall switch. In this way, whenever someone turned the fireplace on or off, I have the status update on my mobile phone.

Old 08-04-23, 12:25 PM
Received 394 Upvotes on 343 Posts
The switch and the relay are wired in parallel so either one has control regardless of the position of the other. As you have discovered they operate independently. You can still use a bi-metal t’stat to prevent the switch from operating the fireplace above a set temperature.

Or you could wire the switch and relay in seres so they both need to ON for the fireplace to operate. That way you would not know positively that it was on (the Wi-Fi could indicate that it was “on” via relay but the switch could be off) but you could turn it “off” remotely anyway.

With some complicated wiring changes you might be able to set up the t’stat to override both the relay and the switch or to get them to operate cooperatively. However unless you have the switch working to control the Wi-Fi outlet you cannot get remote readings which are based on the outlet function and not on the relay function. Your existing switch wiring is low voltage and cannot be used with the Wi-Fi outlet.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: