Mobile DVD Players

Old 06-22-16, 01:19 PM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Mobile DVD Players

There is no mobile/car audio forum so I'm posting here. I'm wondering why there don't see to be ANY decent mobile DVD players on the market. Most of what I am finding is Chinese junk. Even the well-known names like RCA and Philips are making junk players. I need something halfway decent to strap to a headrest for an upcoming trip and the reviews are sub-par for every single DVD player I have found on Amazon, eBay, Best Buy, Walmart, and Target. What gives? Is it that difficult to make a quality compact DVD player for a car? The seemingly best player I can find (based on impressions of their website, You Tube videos and sales pitch) is something called the Autotain DVD player manufactured by Onfair (whoever the heck that is). However, these players are $399+ and they cannot ship in time for my trip this weekend, so I had no choice but to get something else that could be shipped in two days that I'll likely be returning. Any ideas? I have to imagine there is a market for these types of players because as any parent of a young child knows, kids these days need constant stimulation if sitting in a seat for more than an hour.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-16, 01:28 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
We went through three or four of these things before my daughter was old enough to tolerate a trip without one. Every one I had failed within a few months.

Old 06-22-16, 02:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You did not say what kind of vehicle you had. I have a expedition and we took it to a custom car audio shop and had one mounted in the ceiling . That was 10 years go and it still works great. The kids are 12 and 14 now and still watch movies on it when we travel.

Old 06-22-16, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 45 Posts
had one mounted in the ceiling
Must be murder on the neck to watch, though.

Our son loves watching DVDs in the car so we've been through several. Most last about 2 or 3 years, so we buy the cheap ones. We just get regular portables, not ones made specifically for cars, and then strap the carrying case to the seat back from the headrest posts. It has straps to hold it at 90 degrees creating a shelf for the unit to sit on. The advantage of the non-automotive player is he takes it other places as well when he knows he's going to need something to do to pass the time. His current one is a Sylvania we bought from Wally World in Nov 2014 for $69 and took the two year warranty for $6. Last one we had didn't go the full two years so we got a refund of the sale price on that one for the cost of the $6 x-warranty.

Old 06-22-16, 02:47 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
They weren't as common when my daughter was that young but I'd consider a tablet instead, as long as they are capable of holding one.

Old 06-23-16, 08:24 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
...but I can't store movies on a tablet.

Old 06-23-16, 08:56 AM
G
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I went through that and the best I found were Panasonic 12V portables. I can't recall the model I had but I see similar-looking used ones going for way more than other brand's new units.
Problem I had was the players were always a couple steps behind in supporting digital formats. Not a problem if you exclusively play original DVDs, but I usually brought DVD-R copies.

Eventually I went with a small laptop/notebook. Bigger/Better display and upgradeable to support future codecs. Add a bluetooth speaker for rockin sound even if your system doesn't have an external input.

Then again, that might be too much...

Old 06-30-16, 03:40 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
replying to the feedback from mossman.....

indeed you can....once you convert a DVD movie to a file (avi, .mp4, etc), you can certainly copy it to your tablet.

While apple tablets have fixed storage, a lot of android based tablets (samsung, for example) use microSD cards. You can buy larger storage cards (64gb, example) to store lots of movies.