Trying to make sense of pre-wired home theater audio...

Old 11-26-16, 06:29 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trying to make sense of pre-wired home theater audio...

Hello,

I just bough a house that has media room pre-wired for home theater audio. I see junction box, near cable connection, that has 5 speaker cables inside. Out of those 5 speaker cables, 4 of them have 2 wires - black and red. The fifth one has 4 wires - black, red, yellow, and green. I also see 4 boxes on the wall - front left, front right, surround left, and surround right, where 4 of those 5 speaker cables come out.

What I am struggling with is what's that 5th cable (black, red, yellow, and green) for. I don't any other socket/junction box (open or closed) where that 5th speaker cable might be connected.

Anybody has any idea?

Old 11-26-16, 06:52 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The 5th cable could be to the center speaker in the surround system. It will have more bass sound to it. Not sure about the wiring, as it could be extras the previous owner had there for another purpose.

Old 11-26-16, 06:57 PM
C
Received 168 Upvotes on 136 Posts
Could also be a subwoofer, although that doesn't explain 4 wires.

How about remote speakers...outside or in another room?

Old 11-26-16, 07:38 PM
Y
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That's what I thought first that it could be center speaker. But there is no wall plate for center speaker. Likewise, if it is sub-woofer, then there needs to be a wall plate where that wire comes out.

I checked everywhere in the house and I could not find any junction box or wall plate where that 5th wire would terminate. I also checked cable outlet, just in an off chance that the 5th wire would terminate in the same box.

Only other possibility would be that it might be on the outside wall in back yard. It's to dark outside, but I will check tomorrow.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: