Cable TV/Internet Wiring Topgraphy

Old 02-15-18, 08:33 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Cable TV/Internet Wiring Topology

Hi gang...

We recently upgraded to Xfinity's X1 service and I started getting terrible pixelation issues on the televisions. I am new to all this and need some help. I replaced the existing splitters to reduce signal loss and now have the setup as listed in section one of the attached image. I still get some pixelation now and then, and would like to know if adding an amplified splitter and changing the layout as show in section two will benefit me?

Last edited by goofyfish; 02-15-18 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-18, 01:05 PM
F
Received 35 Votes on 27 Posts
With one exception , never "piggy back" splitters. If you need four outlets use a four-way splitter, if you need six outlets use a six-way splitter. The same is usually true when using an amplifier, if you need six outlets use an amplifier with six outputs.

That stated, sometimes, depending on the gain of the amplifier you CAN use a passive splitter on an amplifier output.

The exception: When you have both Internet and cable TV it is almost always best to use a two-way splitter first with one side going to the Internet modem and the other side going to the multi-tap splitter or (better) amplifier.

Old 02-15-18, 01:12 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The issue for me is that I cannot pull new runs to dedicate a line each to the kitchen and the internet router, so I am forced to use a splitter there. Is it worth trying at all?

Old 02-15-18, 02:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
We were getting that from TWC when they switched to digital. They had to change cable from street, put in a new ground connection and replace all splitters in house.